Persian: with varying degrees of politeness.....

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Mar 9, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Hi

Please, in Persian, what is the best way to ask for forms with varying degrees of politeness, from the very rude through the normal to the very courteous?

In other words, how can I ask the following, from a recent thread?
    "Please, how can I tell someone he needs a haircut in Colloquial Persian?
    Do you have بفرما and بشين and بتمرگ equivalents of this? (I.e. polite, normal, rude.) If so, what are they?"

Of course, I'm not asking for a word-for-word translation, but simply the best way to ask this, whether it involves explicitly using بفرما etc. or not.

Best

Simon

2. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    Hi

I can't think of any straightforward way to put that meaning across to a persian speaker without arousing any doubt or confusion. I mean I think just like in english you will probably need to explain by more than just a few words. Varying degrees of politeness I think are part of something we call : گونه کاربردی زبان
    This indicates the type of language you use in different contexts and when dealing with different groups of people

درجه رسمی بودن means the level of formality, so you can say something like :
    این جمله را با درجات مختلف رسمی بودن بیان کنید

But that might not exactly clear up what you want to say so you would probably have to explain a little more :
    گونه های کاربردی مختلف این جمله را از لحاظ درجه رسمی بودن بیان کنید بعنی رسمی و محترمانه ، عامیانه و دوستانه ،توهین آمیز و بی ادبانه

Or something like that, I mean in the end in order to eliminate all doubts you need to include the bold words in parentheses or something so that people will understand you clearly.

3. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    اگه بخوام اين جمله را با سه نثر مختلف "محترمانه"، "محاوره‌ي معمولي روزمره" و "كاملا بي‌ادبانه" بگم، چطوري بايد بگم؟

4. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Is it possible to use درجات مختلف آداب (اللسان)۔ for various degrees of politeness?

5. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    درجات مختلف ادب (not plural)
    Yes it's possible to use this expression as well.

6. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Thank you for the confirmation and rectification! I just thought adab would be more concise. In Urdu we use a phrase adab-o-aadaab.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  7. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    You're welcome, in persian we consider âdâb to be the plural of adab and it means etiquettes or manners whereas adab in this context is the equivalent of 'politeness'.

8. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I understand, the reason behind the Urdu phrase adab-o-aadaab (I typed it in haste and I made a mistake, now it is edited) is that adab itself means 'literature'.

9. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Dear Aryamp and searcher123, many thanks for your excellent answers.

10. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    You are welcome as always