Person who irons clothes.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Little_LIS, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Little_LIS

Little_LIS Senior Member

Egypt
    Arabic,Egypt
    Hello guys,

I want to ask about the job of the person who irons clothes, what can I call that person ?

Do you have that job in English speaking countries ?

Thanks in advance.

2. LucíaV Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish Spain
    Hi,
    I know "presser" for that.
    There may be other ways of saying it. Let's wait for a native English speaker.

Regards

3. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Possible terms include clothing-presser, clothes-presser, clothes presser, ironer.
    Link 1
    Clothing pressers use steam pressing machines and irons to remove the wrinkles from and re-shape items of clothing. Pressing is required at many different stages of the production process, including before the garment is made up and at the end of the production process, to shape and smooth the finished design.

Link 2
    Clothes presser ironer
    Bournemouth, England
    presser required for an independent Dry cleaners in Boscombe east. Must be experienced presser and prepared to work to the highest possible standard. Also must able to iron shirts ...

4. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    In the clothing factory where I worked, we called them ~ and they called themselves ~ "pressers".

There might be distinctions according to what they pressed. For instance the people who pressed the design samples were called "sample pressers". However, a person who had experience pressing one kind of garment would quickly learn how to press another.

Of course, the name is likely to be different in different parts of the English-speaking world.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  5. kireinayoruda

kireinayoruda New Member

California
    English - U.S.A.
    I know I'm late to this party, but wow, I've never heard of a job of just ironing clothes...I wouldn't know what to call it, but I guess "presser" sounds alright. You might need to explain it to some people, though.

6. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    You've certainly heard of "pressing clothes", right? In major hotels they always have this service. So, a person who presses your suit, is a "presser".

Thing is, they no loger "iron" teh clothes in the direct sense - they do not use the iron or "goose" (like they used to) - it is a steam cloth press / pressing machine.

7. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Welcome to the forum, Kire:)
    Do you not have businesses that do nothing but iron clothes for the pathologically lazy* in California, as we do in this country?

* Or 'chronically busy', of course.

8. ribran

ribran Senior Member

Austin, Texas
    English - American
    We call them maids​. :D

9. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    I own an iron. The first and the last time I used it was when I bough it. Some 9 years ago.

But every dry cleaning offers pressing services.

10. kireinayoruda

kireinayoruda New Member

California
    English - U.S.A.
    Hmm, well I rarely stay in hotels, and almost never iron my own clothes (they don't need it). I suppose I thought that someone did the ironing in addition to some other duties?

Thanks :) uh, I don't think so? We use 'Dry-cleaners.' You can get things cleaned and ironed, stains removed (sometimes...), and I guess ironed? Why would you wash the clothes yourself and take them to be ironed? Haha, I would have them cleaned, too, in that case...

but don't ask me...I am a t-shirt and skinny jeans person :p as long as clothes are tight enough, no ironing is ever necessary. I'll get back to you when I have to wear formal clothes.

11. RoadWarrior New Member

English

From today the person who irons clothes shall be called the "Iron Man"