persona calculadora

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by lorena84, Nov 8, 2006.

1. lorena84 Junior Member

SPANISH SPAIN
    hello! how do you say in english: soy una persona muy calculadora. siempre tengo que tener todo planeado de antemano, y tambien le doy muchas vueltas al mismo tema en la cabeza.
    thanks!!

2. Neever

Neever Senior Member

Madrid
    Ireland
    Why don´t you have a try first, then we can help? Don´t use calculating as a translation for calculadora though, it has a different meaning altogether!

3. Mei

Mei Senior Member

Where streets have no name...
    Catalonia Catalan & Spanish
    Really? It's what the dictionary suggests:calculador

What does "calculating" means?

Mei

4. lorena84 Junior Member

SPANISH SPAIN
    could it be: i´m a very calculating person. i always have to have everything planned beforehand. and i also think about the same thing lots of times

5. Neever

Neever Senior Member

Madrid
    Ireland
    Yes, I saw that in the dictionary, and thats why I put in the pointer! If someone described themselves as a calculating person I would interpret it negatively, as it implies (to me at least) that they are very good at planning, but to achieve criminal or negative goals! :)

6. Neever

Neever Senior Member

Madrid
    Ireland
    How's that? Others may have better suggestions, especially for the last phrase.

7. i heart queso Senior Member

San Francisco, California
    English, Canada
    I am a very organized person. I always have to have everything planned ahead of time, and I also think it through many times.

8. Mei

Mei Senior Member

Where streets have no name...
    Catalonia Catalan & Spanish
    Oh, it has the same meaning in spanish... I mean, if someone says that he/she is a calculating person I would interpret it negatively aswell.

But I think that what Lorena needs is what i heart queso said.

Mei

9. Neever

Neever Senior Member

Madrid
    Ireland
    But what does the it refer to? The things you have planned ahead of time?

10. Sallyb36

Sallyb36 Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    British UK
    If it has the same connotation in Spanish then you should use calculating..

11. lorena84 Junior Member

SPANISH SPAIN
    thanks a lot!

12. i heart queso Senior Member

San Francisco, California
    English, Canada
    Yes. It doesn't sound quite right, perhaps better said as: "And I also think things through many times."