personnes morales

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by janac, Aug 2, 2014.

1. janac Senior Member

English
    This is on a French tax return for companies.

Wikipedia gives two translations for "personne morale": "legal person" and "corporation"
    http://www.wordreference.com/fren/personne morale

Which is the correct translation, in this context? Are both translations correct here?

Cadre réservé aux sociétés de personnes dont les associés sont des personnes morales soumises à l'impôt sur le revenu et d'autres à l'impôt sur les sociétés.

My translation:
    This section is for partnerships in which some of the partners are subject to personal income tax and others to corporate income tax.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  2. Glasguensis

Glasguensis Signal Modulation

Versailles
    English - Scotland
    There is no equivalent concept in English, so the translation largely depends on the context. In this context I would suggest shareholders.

3. janac Senior Member

English
    Ok, thank you. Since I won't be taking a course in French business, let me know if I understand what's being said in the sentence. Is it saying that some of the shareholders are subject to being taxed as a person and some are being taxed as a corporation?

4. Michelvar

Michelvar quasimodo

Marseille - France
    French-France
    The French sentence is awkward, does if come from an official paper from government?

it can be translated into:
    .... in which some of the partners are companies, subject to personal income tax and others .....

5. janac Senior Member

English
    Yes, this is a 2014 tax return.

Thank you for the clarification. I understand the sentence now.