pesificación

Discussion in 'Financial Terms' started by aacker02, May 11, 2013.

1. aacker02 Junior Member

Quito
    English - California
    I know that there are two other links about this word on wordreference, but I'm still not understanding it. Could someone please explain what pesificación is specifically, and how you would put it into English? (Not "pesify")

Here is an example: "A diferencia del Ecuador, el Gobierno de Cristina Fernández está impulsando la pesificación de la economía, lo que significa expulsar al dólar."

How do you "expulsar" the dollar? Did Argentina ever use the U.S. dollar?

2. danielfranco

danielfranco Senior Member

3. aacker02 Junior Member

Quito
    English - California
    Thanks for the link, danielfranco. It's the best explanation I've read yet, although you're right: It is really complicated.

I guess I would say: "Unlike in Ecuador, the Cristina Fernández Administration is promoting an economy based on the conversion of dollars to pesos, which means abandoning the peso's peg to the dollar."

If anyone has any other ideas, I appreciate it!

4. danielfranco

danielfranco Senior Member

Well, apparently the English-speaking Economics-type peoples seem to accept "pesification" as a good stand-in for the concept. I know, I know: it's not even a real word, but it seems that it's the one used anyways…

Good luck!

5. Fernando Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain, Spanish
    I would use "pesification" anyway. For English speakers a short description would be needed no matter what word you use.

6. Gerard Samuel Senior Member

New York City
    American English
    How about "peso-ization"?

7. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
  8. Fernando Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain, Spanish
    You are right.

I find pesification, pesoization and pesofication in Google. Pesoization is awful for Spanish ears, but our vote do not count. I understand it is similar to "dollarization".