1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. kebudd Senior Member

English, CA, United States
    est-ce que c'est "petit chou" pour un homme et "petite choue" pour une femme? Ou est-ce que c'est toujours masculin??

merci d'avance!!

2. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France
    France, French
    On parle d'un chou à la crème... donc d'un petit chou, même pour une femme ou une petite fille. :)

3. kebudd Senior Member

English, CA, United States
    merci beaucoup!!

4. dancingpearly

dancingpearly Junior Member

USA- English
    I was wondering if this is really a term of endearment used in France.

5. rsweet

rsweet Senior Member

English, North America
    You should wait for a native speaker for this, but I think one of the meanings is "teacher's pet."

6. belleaspen86 Junior Member

Durham
    United States of America
    It is. Marie-Antoinette called her children "chou-fleur". I think it is a really old term of endearment, but again, I am not a native.

7. zez Senior Member

Paris
    France/French
    "Mon petit chou-chou" looks a little bit strange... "mon petit chou" is better for me ("mon p'ti chou").

8. district New Member

Canada, english
    My french teacher in high school was from Quebec and she would call us "chou-chou", which is where I first learned it.

My brother-in-law is from France and he uses it too.

9. shanty666 New Member

israel english
    hello all,

does anybody please help me translate this:
    MON PETIT CHOUX

thanks!

10. Clive Senior Member

Fukuoka
    Brigadoon
    my little cabbage ?

it means my sweetheart

11. shanty666 New Member

israel english
    graet! you really helped me

is it a romantic phrase or a general notice of care?

12. pyan

pyan Senior Member

Vendée, France
    English, UK, London
    Hello shanty666
    "Chou" is the singular and "choux" is the plural, so it's "mon petit chou". (They sound the same, it is just the spelling.)

Do have a look at the WR dictionary. It has several translations which give you a good idea how it can be used.

13. shanty666 New Member

israel english
    and again : thanks!!!

14. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France
    France, French
  15. Kelshooter New Member

United States, English
    Can this be used for either male or female?
    Is there a difference between using 1 chou or 2 (chou chou)?

I remember this phrase from my high school French classes and have used it for my husband. Before putting it in print, I want to get it right :)

16. Amyyy Senior Member

France
    I confirm we can say mon petit chouchou!

17. Kelshooter New Member

United States, English
    Amyyy you are awsome!!

18. Amyyy Senior Member

France
    thank you :)
    and you can say it for a boy or a girl

19. Seyne Junior Member

bretagne, france
    France, French
    hey there,

just to put the final touch to the explanation :

"mon petit chou" is totally affective, can be used for both girl or boy, it is anyhow more commonly encountered while talking about kids, but can be said in couples, even though i think it's seldom used in those cases (not like i asked every couple eh ^^ ) and my nod to Agnes, i think it comes from chou à la crème, a little sweet viennoiserie

whereas "chouchou" may bear a negative meaning, it's generally used by other people to qualify a a relation between a person A, and a person B, who prefers person A among a group of other people as in "c'est le chouchou de la prof" meaning "he/she is the one the teacher prefers" and that one is generally said by jealous people, so i'd rather not use chouchou if it's affective talk only

20. Amyyy Senior Member

France
    seyne i dont really agree with your last paragraph. chouchou can be used in the same way as chou.
    :)

21. Seyne Junior Member

bretagne, france
    France, French
    well i guess it somehow shows how a words meaning can change regarding the age/sex of a person ^^

and i absolutely declare that i am not holding the truth :>

and as i said "chouchou" is used to talk about someone a person prefers over someone else, hence it can have an affective meaning, just i guess school is still to close for me to have an objective judgement on words i encountered there ^^

22. klodaway

klodaway Senior Member

Hello-

I totally agree with Seyne's statement : I have most commonly heard chouchou used in the sense of "le chouchou de la prof".

BUT, a famous TV show on French television these last few years was called "Chouchou et Loulou". It was the daily short-stories of a couple, where she was "chouchou" and he was "loulou".

klod-

23. Richard E. Stanley Junior Member

U.S.A English
    He/she is the teacher's pet est l'equivalent de c'est le chou-chou de la prof.

24. itka Senior Member

France
    français
    I completely agree with Seyne and other people who said "chouchou" is not a sweet name. It's mean as you suggested "teacher's pet", somebody prefered by the teacher, the director, the head... and often a person that others don't like.

25. Amyyy Senior Member

France
    Klodaway is the best to summarize the situation!! thank you :)
    and i completely agree with yous chouchou is used in school context for example and also as a nickname :)

26. ngeorgiev Junior Member

UK, Durham
    Bulgarian
    comment dit-on "pti chou" en anglais, s'il vous plait.

merci d'avance

27. oleks New Member

French & Russian
    C'est pas à propos des enfants par hasard?
    Dans ce cas-là c'est un truc comme "honey"

28. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    If it's about children, you have a hundred possibilities. As well as honey (rather American) there are:

pet
    pigeon
    sunshine
    sweety-pie...

29. ngeorgiev Junior Member

UK, Durham
    Bulgarian
    no no it is not about children.

honey fits well. merci

30. Arioch Senior Member

France, French
    Pet and pigeon to speak about children? Really?

I find it hard to believe that two terms relating so closely to animals can be used to talk to children... I can't help laughing imagining calling my nephew "le chiot" or "le pigeon" positively.
    If I'm not too curious... What are you talking about when you use "pti chou", if it's not children?

31. ngeorgiev Junior Member

UK, Durham
    Bulgarian
    well I dont know. I've seen adult using it to address another adult, so I assume that "honey" should be the case

32. Arioch Senior Member

France, French
    [...]

Okay for pigeon, I can understand, even if I don't see the "cute" value of a pigeon (but, as you said, and as I forgot, a flee is not really cuter than a pigeon ;)). But pet... There is a proprietary side to this term. Perhaps I forget another similar French word but... no, honestly, the domination this word conveys seems rather strong...
    Okay... Yes, you're right. I just got the impression you were talking about inanimate objects... Apparently, my mind wasn't very sharp this afternoon...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008