1. Autumn_in_Norenskaia

Autumn_in_Norenskaia Senior Member

France, French
    Could someone explain me why a particular kind of shortbread is called "petticoat tails" ? It doesn't help me a lot to translate it in French...!
  2. pyan

pyan Senior Member

Vendée, France
    English, UK, London
    Summary of my opinion: There is no sensible reason. Bakers enjoy playing with words and using language like real people do, and Petticoat Tails stuck. They are quite similar to some Breton biscuits with odd names. Think about cats' tongues.

My first reaction was "it's obvious - they are sort of triangular like a ... ???" Second reaction: "What about French cakes called "Nuns, Turtles..." Considered response is in the summary.
  3. Autumn_in_Norenskaia

Autumn_in_Norenskaia Senior Member

France, French
    Lol ! thank you
  4. archijacq Senior Member

french France
    Certains disent que ce biscuit viendrait du français "petites gatelles" (petits gâteaux) - selon d'autres, il s'agirait d'une réplique des jupes élizabéthaines à godets (morceaux de tissu taillés en biais de forme + ou - triangulaire).

Étant donné les cannelures particulières sur les bords de ces biscuits, certains disent "petit-beurre écossais". On trouve aussi "petits écossais au beurre salé".
  5. Luchie

Luchie Junior Member

England, English

This is really funny :)

Petticoat tails are shortbread biscuits, they come as one biscuit that is round, it is about 15cm accross, and devided into 6 segments, each segment has a pricked pattern on it and the edge is "pinched" to look frilly, like a petticoat.

A petticoat is a item of clothing worn under a skirt, they used to be frilly or have layers.

I hope this explains a bit more :)
  6. archijacq Senior Member

french France
    glad to know that we have norvegian and scottish petticoat tails (you can see a picture on the internet). This shows how important it is to give a full description of items and context. Bon appétit