-phile Vs -phobe

Discussion in 'Tagalog and Filipino Languages' started by Qcumber, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Qcumber Senior Member

UK English
    Hi! :)
    How do you express "-phile" and "-phobe" in Tagalog?
    I have coined the following words. Are they correct?

1) philippinophile : maka-Pilipíno
    e.g. Isáng Taga-Kanlúrang na maibigín sa mga Pilipíno ay maka-Pilipíno.

2) philippinophilia : pagka-maka-Pilipíno
    e.g. Ang pagka-maka-Pilipíno ni Don Montebello ay natuklásan sa malakí niyáng abúloy.

3) philippinophobe : áyaw-sa-Pilipíno
    e.g. Aywangkó kung siyá’y isáng áyaw-sa-Pilipíno, péro sinábi ngâ niyáng hindî siyá magtátagúyod sa ákin.

4) philippinophobia : pagka-áyaw-sa-Pilipíno
    e.g. Waláng bansáng kung saán may pagka-áyaw-sa-Pilipíno, dî bá?
    ) xenophile : maka-dayúhan
    6) xenophilia : pagka-maka-dayúhan
    7) xenophone : áyaw-sa-dayúhan
    8) xenophobia : pagka-áyaw-sa-dayúhan

9) bibliophile : mapág-aklát
    e.g. Túnay na mapág-aklát si Tavera at siyá’y may humigít-kumúlang na laksáng libró.

10) bibliophilia : pagka-mapág-aklát
    e.g. Pagka-mapág-aklát ang kanyáng bísyo.
    1) hydrophobic : takót-sa-túbig
    e.g. Nakú! Napakasakít ng úlo si Norma! Isáng takót-sa-túbig siyá! Sa ísip niyá’y asúkal siyá dáhil sa diabetes niyá!

12) hydrophobia : pagka-takót-sa-túbig
    e.g. Hindî siyá makalangóy dáhil sa kanyáng pagka-takót-sa-túbig.

2. Pinyot Member

I applaud your skill! Great translations!

I must point out a few things. All are minor.

1) Maka-Pilipino is correct, however, pagka-maka-Pilipino isn't. You can either do without the first hyphen, or use pagiging maka-Pilipino. The latter is what's commonly used.

2) Ayaw-sa-Pilipino is the using the same syntax as know-it-all, right? In Tagalog, you can omit the hyphens and use spaces instead. You can also use kontra-. Though it is borrowed from the Spanish language it is commonly used by Filipinos.

Laban can also be used instead of ayaw.

3) Pagiging kontra-Pilipino/pagkakontra-Pilipino can be used instead of pagiging ayaw sa Pilipino/pagka-ayaw sa Pilipino.

4) Filipinos do not really use mapag-aklat. Instead mapag-basa(read) is used. Mahilig magbasa can also be subtituted to mapag-basa.

5) Since the Tagalog language doesn't have words for phobia, you can simply say takot sa (insert what is being feared).

Siya ay takot sa tubig.
    He is afraid of water.
    He is hydrophobic.

Ang kanyang pagkatakot sa tubig ay lumalala.
    His fear of water is getting worse.
    His hydrophobia is getting worse.

Aside from those mentioned above, your translation is flawless!
  3. Qcumber Senior Member

UK English
    I know kontrá and lában. I didn't use them because xenophobia is a fear of foreigners. The typical xenophobe flees aliens. It doesn't imply he or she will join a resistance movement against them. You can witness this everyday in Western countries.

For instance among the Filipinos who joined the HUK resistance against Japan during WWII, there were admirers of Japan and its achievements. What they didn't accept was Japan occupying the Philippines.

It follows that one should maintain the distinction between tákot "fear" and lában "fight against".

As regards nominal derivation, it appears pagigíng is the simplest solution. Thanks a lot, Pinyot. :)
  4. Qcumber Senior Member

UK English
    Some bibliophiles do not read the precious books they buy. They only exceptionally open them. What matters for them is the book as an objet d'art not as a medium of information.
    I admit my sentence suggested the man had many books and read them.
  5. Pinyot Member

I'm still thinking about the bibliophile example you gave. The best Tagalog translation I can come up so far is pagiging mahilig sa aklat but it's more of a definition than a translation.

I'm gonna look for the exact translation of bibliophile and get back to you as soon as I find it. Man, I'll be at this for weeks. LOL!
  6. Qcumber Senior Member

UK English
    I admire your patience and dedication.
    It is quite possible Tagalog prefers to express things in clauses rather than in complex derivatives.
  7. Pinyot Member

I still can find the proper equivalent of -phile. I do know of a prefix that some people use but this might just be due to Visayan influences. I've yet to confirm this but I'll still share it.

Maki - prefix to describe a liking or preference

Siya ay maki-gulay.
    He is prefers vegetables.

Siya ay maki-libro/aklat.
    He is fond of books.

Again, I am not too sure about this. This might just be a form of maka-.

If someone knows whether this is part of the Tagalog vocabulary or not, tell us. This topic is really making my head hurt. LOL!
  8. Qcumber Senior Member

UK English
    Pinyot, this is not standard Tagalog. So let's replace your maki- by maka-.
    Yes you can say báyan "country" > maka-báyan "patriot", but do you think you could say maka-libró / maka-aklát?
  9. Pinyot Member

Yeah, but some words sound weird when maka- is used on them. I'll go with clauses until we find more info.