1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

photo of a reinforcing bar drawings taken on a social-housing building site

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by L'irlandais, Jan 25, 2013.

1. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Hello again,
    In the context of the same email mentionned in the previous thread :

Attached you will find a photo of one of my reinforcing bar drawings taken on a social-housing building site in London many years ago.

The part "auf einer sozialen Häuser-Baustelle" gives me pause.

Ich bedanke mich für Ihrend Anruf, anbei ein Foto von einer meinen Bewehrungsplänen auf einer sozialen Häuser-Baustelle in London vor vielen Jahren.

I'm afraid my B1/B2 level German lets me down when I don't practice everyday, and sounds perhaps a little stilted. Since the email is trying to secure a job I rather have a native speaker advise me if it's correct before sending it. With my broken German on the telephone they must already be wondering if they've made the right choice.

2. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    I'd say Baustelle für Sozialwohnungen.

3. Gernot Back

Gernot Back Senior Member

Cologne, Germany
    German - Germany
    I would suggest :

Ich bedanke mich für Ihren Anruf. In der Anlage übersende ich Ihnen das Foto eines Bewehrungsplans, den ich vor einigen Jahren für eine Baustelle des sozialen Wohnungsbaus in London erstellt habe.

4. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    It is not the Baustelle that is sozial, but the Häuser (Wohnungen). That is why your version sounds funny.

5. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Indeed.:)

6. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Thanks guys. :thumbsup: (Makes mental note to enroll next week for my German classes.)