1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

phytochemical analysis

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by LePolyglotte, Dec 27, 2012.

1. LePolyglotte New Member

Peru
    Spanish
    Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on my thesis. I have to translate a summary I have written in Spanish into English. My research is about a shampoo using "molle" extract. I am wondering if the words I've chosen are the right ones in my translation. Before I introduce the text I would like you to help me translate, I want to let you know that "molle" is a medicinal plant, mainly found in South America. It is used as a insecticide by rural communities.

Background information:
    Dogs infested with fleas were used on this research; regardless of sex, breed, weight or age, they were distributed randomly into four experimental groups of six animals each: A control group (no treatment), B (treated with molle shampoo at a 25-percent concentration), C (treated with molle shampoo at a 50-percent concentration), and D (treated with free-extract shampoo), recording the number of fleas, assessed by counting them using a fine-toothed flea comb...

Original text (in Spanish): Mediante el análisis fitoquímico identificado por reacciones de coloración y precipitación, se evidenció abundante presencia de compuestos fenólicos del tipo flavonoides y taninos.

My attempt (in English): By phytochemical analysis determined by coloration and precipitation reactions, abundant presence of phenols of the kind flavonoids and tannins was evidenced.

Thanks to you all in advance,

Le Polyglotte

P.S.: Feel free to make any correction if needed.

2. Ilialluna

Ilialluna Senior Member

Madrid
    Español-España
    Hola. Yo diría: "By phytochemical analysis identified by coloration and precipitation reactions, an abundant presence of phenolic compounds of the flavonoid and tannin type was evidenced".
    No estoy segura en cuanto a si habría que usar "coloration" o "dyeing".
    Espero que te sirva.

3. LePolyglotte New Member

Peru
    Spanish
    Thank you again for your concern! I think there was improvement in your translation. I've been researching on the Web about "reacciones de coloración y precipitación" and I found on Wikipedia the following definitions: color change reaction and precipitation reaction, so I think that's it. Thanks!

4. clevermizo Moderator

St. Louis, MO
    English (USA), Spanish
    These are a little long and awkward in English, I think. Also, coloration is not right for a chemical reaction - I would use 'colorimetric' (especially if color change is the readout for the assay in question). I also think your 'precipitation' reaction refers to alkaline precipitation gravimetry. If that is the case, I would replace that with 'gravimetric' (though I've left precipitation as it was in my translation). I would reword it as follows:

Utilizing colorimetric and precipitation** phytochemical analyses, the abundant presence of flavonoid and tannin phenolic compounds was detected.

**(gravimetric?)

Especially with science writing in English, there is a preference for the most concise kind of sentence possible :D .

5. LePolyglotte New Member

Peru
    Spanish
    Thank you very much!