1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

pick it up / put it down

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by al amanecer, Aug 21, 2008.

1. al amanecer Junior Member

English-US
    hey everybody,

there are a couple (dozen!) easy things to say that I just can't figure out how to. For instance, when telling somebody to pick something up from the table (pick up your drink and let's go) or pick something up so I can wipe under it (pick it up and put it back down). Can anybody translate into Spanish what's in parenthesis and also explain how to say, in general, to pick something up in Spanish. What is the difference in this situation between agarrar, levantar and whatever verb I don't know about. Except for coger...where I live they say it's too close to Mexico and the word has the double entendre.

Also, how would I tell somebody to hold a book over and under a table? Literally "hold the book over the table, now hold (put, but don't let go) it under the table?

thanks a lot

2. frida-nc

frida-nc Moduladora

North Carolina
    English USA
    Lleva tu bebida y vamos. (You're right, "Coge..." in Spain.)
    Levanta éso para que pueda limpiar debajo.

Agarrar - take hold of. Levantar - raise and hold. Llevar - pick up and carry.

I would say "mantén el libro más arriba de la mesa, ahora manténlo debajo" but that's not necessarily best. Spanish speakers are invited to comment.

3. ISABOH Senior Member

madrid
    Madrid Spanish
    Being spanish I will always say "Coge la bebida y vamos" but as you say this may cause you funny situations (and sometimes not so funny) in some south american countries. I agree with Frida suggestions but as a spaniard i will say the first sentence differently:
    "Vamos y llevaté la bebida"...Frida sentence is correct but it sounds weird to me "too english" I will say but maybe is just me being picky =)

Isaboh

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  4. al amanecer Junior Member

English-US
    Thanks you guys. When would you use tomar instead of the others?

5. ISABOH Senior Member

madrid
    Madrid Spanish
    Vamos a tomar algo...
    Shall we go for a drink? Is a proposal to going out

Voy a tomar/coger un avión...
    I am going to take a plane

Tómate la sopa...
    Eat up the soup

Tómate una cerveza...
    come on! have a beer

Tomar is one of those verbs that can be used in many different situations.

Isaboh

6. al amanecer Junior Member

English-US
    Could you say 'toma el libro de la mesa' en vez de 'coge el libro de la mesa'? why or why not? For example, how does it change the meaning or what nuance does it imply?

7. Romario Junior Member

Spain, spanish
    "Tomar" is better used as "here you are the book u asked me for"-"aquí tienes/toma el libro que me pediste". Pick, grab, catch... are better translated as "coger".