1. Eladio the Chemist Senior Member

Spanish, Cuba
    Amigos del forum, ¿me ayudan a traducir esta frase histórica y filosófica?:
    "Pienso, luego existo"
    My attempt: "I can think, so I exist"

Me resulta interesante porque le escuché decir a un amigo, en tono de broma: "Sexo, luego existo" (tal vez: "Sex, so I exist", saying to a person who knows the true phrase)

Eladio

2. Bea_trix New Member

Español (España)
    Creo que se traduce como
    "I think therefore I am"

3. hfpardue

hfpardue Senior Member

Santiago de Chile
    United States - English
    Bea_trix tiene razón. Sólo añadiría una coma. I think, therefore I am. Descartes was a wild guy.

4. Eladio the Chemist Senior Member

Spanish, Cuba
    Sorry Bea Trix, but I do not think so. If you would not offend I preferred an anwser by a native English speaker. And thank you for your help, yes and excuse me again!!
    Eladio

5. Eladio the Chemist Senior Member

Spanish, Cuba
    You see Bea Trix, you were right and I was wrong. That is life! So, excuse me again. Anyway, do not you think that "therefore" here is too formal?
    Maybe then: "I think, that is I am"

And what about "Sex, therefore I am"?

Eladio

6. Cosaco Senior Member

Castellano
  7. hfpardue

hfpardue Senior Member

Santiago de Chile
    United States - English
    Anyway, don't you think that "therefore" here is too formal? :tick:

It's not too formal because you are talking about Descartes. This quote is famous in English. People may not know who came up with it, but saying "therefore" will sound better than anything else.

"I think, that is I am" just sounds like an awkward change to the original quote.

"Sex, therefore I am" doesn't make any sense. You could say "I have sex, therefore I am", but even that would sound goofy. :)