pierogi vs. piroshki

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Bonjules, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Bonjules Senior Member

Caribbean
    German
    Hello everybody! A question on culinary semantics.

Are the two the same thing? Wiki is not clear; it seems to indicate that one of them is made with yeast dough.
    saludos

2. Anatoli Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Native: русский (Russian), home country: English
  3. estreets Senior Member

Russian
    If you mean Russian pirogi vs pirozhki - only their size. Pirozhki are small, pirogi are bigger.

4. BezierCurve Senior Member

From what I read in the Wiki, there is not much difference, except Russian version allows fish while Polish often tends to include white cheese and potatoes (for some reason called "ruskie pierogi") or blackberries.

5. Teena Senior Member

Toronto
    Uzbekistan - Russian
    pirogi are baked goods of a larger size. it's like a pie
    pirojok is the same thing but small (pirojok can also be fried)
    pelmeni are dumplings (typically have a round form, filled with meat)
    pierogi are Polish and similar to the Russian"vareniki" (similar to pelmeni but different in shape and at least I have never seen vareniki with a meat filling, potatoes, jam are most common for vareniki) I'm not sure what type of fillings are common for the Polish pierogi.

Polish pierogi and Russian pirogi are two different things

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  6. Anatoli Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Yes, пирожки are derived from пироги but here's the question about Polish pierogi (not Russian pirogi) vs Russian pirozhki. They are similar but have different meanings - false friends.

pierogi are more like Russian pelmeni, not vareniki. Here in Melbourne you can get both types (not vareniki), depending who you buy them from.

Vareniki (вареники) - Ukrainian/Russian usually don't have meat fillings but cheese, berries, potato/mushroom.

7. Teena Senior Member

Toronto
    Uzbekistan - Russian
    I dont agree with that, pierogi are similar to vareniki in shape and in variety of fillings. Pelmeni have a different shape and are generally only made with meat. Though all 3 I guess are similar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierogi

8. Anatoli Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    OK, I agree but the type of pierogi I bought from Polish shapes were identical to Russian pelmeni in shape and they were with meat. I think it's safe to say that Polish pierogi is broader and may be translated into Russian as both пельмени and вареники.

9. Bonjules Senior Member

Caribbean
    German
    Hi,
    thanks to you all for helping to clarify this; it seems a lot more complicated than I thought, probably also due to regional differences and traditions of these very popular dishes.
    I hope we can agree on one thing: When not oven-baked (pirozshki), as I assume it was done traditionally with this dish, it could, like the dumpling variety before seving, be pan-fried but never, hopefully, deep fried!
    (True, we like the taste of fat, but this is becoming a terrible habit with all kinds of food, even here in the Caribbean)
    saludos