pilotis

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by Porteño, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Continuing my translation of a building description, I have come across an item that says '1 pilotis'. As I understand it, this word is often used to describe pillars, but in this context it doesn't make much sense:

Context: "que será composto de um Bloco de 21 andares, inclusive o térreo, 3 mezaninos, 4 subsolos e ático, para um total de 33 conjuntos, 2 teatros, 2 salas exposições, 1 pilotis e 5 salas de reuniões."

My attempt: that shall be comprised of one tower block of 21 floors including the first floor, 3 mezzanines, 4 basement levels and an attic, with a total of 33 suites, 2 theaters, 2 showrooms, ............. and 5 conference rooms.

2. Archimec Senior Member

Montreal, Canada
    Portugal, portuguese
    A meu vêr, isso significa mais ou menos "an open area on the ground floor, with the exposed columns/pilotis".

3. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Thanks, that could certainly be a possibility.

4. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    However, looking at the building on Google Earth there doesn't appear to be anything like that there.:)

5. Archimec Senior Member

Montreal, Canada
    Portugal, portuguese
    Can you give me a link?

6. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
  7. Archimec Senior Member

Montreal, Canada
    Portugal, portuguese
    No Google, edifício The One-Faria Lime, a imagem número 3 parece mostrar um espaço aberto, com as colunas estruturais/pilotis aparentes.

8. mglenadel

mglenadel Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Brazilian Portuguese
    It is something that I haven't seen much of outside of Brazil. It has its origins in modernist architecture, but it has caught on and become very popular in Brazil. In narrow-and-long floor plan buildings, the ground floor is open, with just the building's support columns holding it off the ground, as if on stilts, and a small entry foyer, just enough to have elevators and stairs to lead up to the building itself, being the only ground-level built structure. The columns, as a matter of style are usually cylindrical, to make the open space underneath the building seem airier and unobstructed.

Sometimes, however, the 'pilots' can be not under the main building, but under a transversal, smaller wing (see Vanda's link to Palacio Capanema). I believe this is the case with the building you describe, Porteño.

Pilotis (maybe 'colonnade'?) are usually good places to hold exhibits, fairs, events in general, as they are open-air (which makes a lot more sense in a mild-weathered country such as Brazil) but protected from rain and direct sunlight.

9. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Having finally located the correct building on Google Earth there does appear to be something like this at one end of the structure although it is not very clear. It's at the coner of Faria Lima and Coropés Street.