1. stephentravels New Member

english, U.S.A.
    Hi, it's me again with another question about vocabulary I used to hear on the job. But it's not pretty, don't want to offend anyone hear. Okay to post this? I didn't read throught the guidelines yet. Just let me know if you don't mind some swear words this morning. Thanks in advance.
  2. irisheyes0583 Senior Member

San José, Costa Rica
    English (USA)
    Sure, post it! Just put a warning icon in the title to let people know it has offensive content.
  3. ivana aleksic Junior Member

Serbia and Montenegro
    go for it..........
  4. stephentravels New Member

english, U.S.A.
    Okay, here goes. I thought (not sure about the spelling) "vince cabr*n" translates literally to "f*cking bastard." But not sure because I don't find it in a slang dictionary online. So any help will be appreciated. This isn't frivolous, at least for me. I'm writing a novel with a Mexican American charecter who gets really angry and slips into the swearing. So I'm trying to write something realistic. This is something I used to hear on the job. Sad to say I'm embarrassed to go and ask my local bartender. Thanks in advance for any comments on this. I'm really looking for a phrase that is equivalent to a caucasian American guy saying "mother f*cker".
  5. COLsass

COLsass Senior Member

I think it's pinche cabr*n. But I don't know Mexican Spanish except from movies and such.

"slips into the swearing" is a strange English phrase that I suggest keeping out of your novel. ;) maybe go with, busts into a tirade of curses, starts swearing, unleashes a frenzy of cuss words.
  6. ForeverLearning

ForeverLearning Senior Member

México DF
    The expression is "Pinche cabr*n" and in used a lot in Mexico, I don't know about other areas. Literally it's Damn goat, but it means about what you think.
  7. stephentravels New Member

english, U.S.A.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Pince, with a P. Who would have thought. Okay. Good. BTW, I'm not using the phrase "slips into swearing" in the novel. I meant to say on my last message that he slips into Spanish (from English). Thank you all.
  8. COLsass

COLsass Senior Member

Notice the red! pinche.
  9. stephentravels New Member

english, U.S.A.
    Thanks. You caught this student of Italian here.
  10. ElGato

ElGato Senior Member

Coral Gables, FL
    Puerto Rico/Cuba, Spanish
    Were I come from we would never use pinche cabr_n although we associate with Mexican swear.

For mother f_cker we would say "hijo de la gran p_ta" or simply "hijo de p_ta" which literally means son of a whore or as you say mother fuc... Oh and by the way, the letter missing after the "p" is obviously "u".

Hope it helps.

11. SusanJOShea

SusanJOShea Senior Member

US English
    Es "pinche cabrón"
    "pinche" refiere a persona que trabaja en cocina; los mejicanos la usa como "despreciable"
    cabrón es el macho de la cabra; los mejicanos la usa como "persona de mal carácter" y otras países tienen sus propios costumbres

Creo que "mother fucker" es expresión más fuerte que "pinche cabrón" y recomendo buscar entre las muchas expresiones basadas en "madre."

Los mejicanos pueden usar un grán variedad de palabras inocentes mostrar su desaprobación o los discontentos, como "coger" (en México es importante "tomar" el autobus en lugar de "coger" lo.) o "madre" como "me vale madres"

Expresión muy común es "carajo" o bien "chingada"

¡Que disfrutes la búsqueda!
  12. danielfranco

danielfranco Senior Member

And, to offer more insight into the Mexican mind, "pinche cabr*n" is a sort of catch-all phrase used in diverse settings. It's intensity really depends on how angry the person saying it looks. If he's just shaking his head at you with a half-smile on his face, you're still okay, 'cause he's just calling you "you silly blighter". If he's saying it with a more serious visage, he's calling you "cheeky bastard". And if his eyes are popping out and he's red in the face when he calls you "pinche cabr*n", then he's probably ready to throw a punch.
    Good luck!
    pinche Dan F
  13. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

UK English
    Silly blighter, interesting choice of words, can't say I have heard anyone say it outside films. It sounds rather quaint to my ears, would anyone say it in the States? (except as a joke). I'd probably say "daft bugger", but I know straight away that that is strictly BE and Australian English
  14. El gorgo New Member

USA English
    Damn goat sounds like a bad name too!
  15. dicomec Senior Member

Hi fellow novelist. It's pinche cabrón. If he's a gringo, you could call him a pinche bolillo, or pinche gabacho. But in my own writing, I've learned not to put in too much of a foreign language (unless it really a bilingual tale). I just go with one or two words here and there, and usually make it very clear either from the context, or in some other way, such as another charactor asking what it means, or repeating it in English, etc, rather than simply leave the reader in the dark. It's easy to make that mistake, because I understand perfectly, but I try to remember that some readers may have no clue what a Spanish word or phrase means.
    Read The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. ( I know the bandido didn't really say "we don't need no stinkin' badges") but Mr. Traven managed to create a real novel without throwing in a lot of Spanish. Muy buena suerte. Carlos Zurdo y Sordo, el rey de mi casa (quando la mamá no está).:eek:
  16. El gorgo New Member

USA English
    En mi casa tambien! Pero Mama esta hoy!(el brujo de la casa)
  17. Kora_ Junior Member

Mexican - Spanish
    I completely agree with you :thumbsup:

"pinche cabr*n" is an offensive phrase used in Mexico; depending on the speaker's mood the meaning changes.

The implication of this phrase is that eventhough the meaning may change it is really offensive. This phrase is not used by well educated people.
  18. El gorgo New Member

USA English
    Or people who like goats. ( no slander/pun intended)
  19. desdeguate Junior Member

Guatemala - spanish
    It is also offensive in Central America. The intensity changes according to the context, but it is always an insult.
  20. El gorgo New Member

USA English
    This is amazing. I thought English was strange!
  21. JAG Junior Member

Estados Unidos
    Here in the States you wouldn't hear native speakers of American English using either of the terms he used, unless they were joking, and/or not right in the head. Anyway, well spotted, old bean. (No, we don't say that either).
  22. scotu Senior Member

Paradise: LaX.Nay.Mex.
    Chicago English
    In Mexico, at least, it is not always an insult....sometimes it is used in a friendly or joking way between the best of friends.
    When it is intended to be an insult it is more or less the semantic equivalent of "fucking asshole"
  23. danielfranco

danielfranco Senior Member

So, personality disses aside, it could be generalized that "pinche cabrón" is an actual insult against a person, and it consists of an insulting noun which refers to somebody who is uncouth, plus an insulting adjective to intensify the character flaw. Depending on the context and the intensity desired, one can go from using minced oaths to outright profanity. Thusly:
    (insulting adjective) + (insulting noun)

Does that work as a general explanation?
  24. Snaga Junior Member

US English
    Too general. In the Northwest US, we say "you little..." or "what a..." which have about the tone of pinche. And if you've ever been around goats, especially bucks, you know they are stubborn and selfish. It's not just "insulting noun." It has a pretty clear meaning.