1. jamesjoyce Senior Member

Roseburg Oregon USA
    Irish/ living in the United States
    I have just come across this word in Le Point and I can't find it in the dictionary. If it is what i think it is then it is a variation on a sexual term used in france for oral gratification. Please advise.
    Jamesjoyce

2. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

JJ, you must have a dirty mind! Sorry, no cigar...

See here

3. dewsy Senior Member

Versailles
    England, english
    Welcome jamesjoyce.

No it's not at all what you are thinking:). It is actually a term used to describe the turning of nobodies into "stars" worthy of the tabloid press, such as Big Brother contestants.

4. orlando09 Senior Member

France, PACA
    English (England)
    according to that French Wikipedia link : "Dans les pays anglo-saxons, le terme le plus proche de « peoplisation » est le concept de « Life politics ».

:confused:

That's news to me - I don't recall anyone talking about "life politics", although they are correct to suggest that this is one of those words that are used in France and appear to be English, but actually aren't used by English-speakers (at least not in the sense it is used in France). "People" is used all the time here as an adjective to refer to things involving celebrities or high society etc. You could say a glitzy, highly-publicised event was very "people". In English, "people" just means "gens".

5. jamesjoyce Senior Member

Roseburg Oregon USA
    Irish/ living in the United States
    I must have a bad mind and I thank you. Loved the cigar reference. Bad mind again? Thank you again I can see myself visiting this site very often.

6. wildan1

That struck me a a strange translation as well, orlando.
    Of course, politics has been mediatized for some time in US culture, so maybe we don't have a precise label for it any more. Possibly a communications expert would have a term, but I can't think of one that is in general usage.

You do hear general descriptions of the cheapening and coarsening of the media--not restricted to politics, however.

Les People, as the term is used in France, to me would be "The Beautiful People" in AE

7. orlando09 Senior Member

France, PACA
    English (England)
    I'd say it's what we'd call celebs in BE -- I would say it can include people who are famous for some good reason, but can also refer to modern obsession with "celebrities", even ones who are having their 15 minutes of fame (as Warhol said) and are not really very noteable for anything - so, the "pipolisation" of society could refer to this phenomenon (ie excessive interest in celebrities, of whatever sort)

8. wildan1

I think this refers more specifically to the political co-optation of a willing and newly cooperative media in France--Sarkozy's staff managing to have them photoshop out his "love handles" from pictures of him on vacation in the States, etc.

9. searchengine Junior Member

FRANCE French
    I hav e a hunch the French use of "les people" is derived from the name of the American PEOPLE magazine. Any clue there?
    We often hear of "la pipolisation de la politique" these days, to refer to the process of turning politicians, or their wives, or soon-to-be-divorced wives into celebs in the pages of gossip magazines.

10. mogador Senior Member

Marseille, France
    FRENCH AND US
    yes I also think it comes from the magazine "People", featuring celebrities, hence "pipole" became the "in" way to say celebs in french. Pipolisation de la vie politique means that french politicians are acting more and more like celebrities.

11. bapsbourgougnon Junior Member

French France
    Yes I agree, Somehow we (french) transformed the word "people" into "pipole". Pipolising is: to make someone a pipole. To make someone famous.

12. mogador Senior Member

Marseille, France
    FRENCH AND US
    for the sake of clarity let's just add that pipole is pronounced as people.