pisada de guitarra

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by MDFLO, Jul 3, 2009.

1. MDFLO Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA, English
    Hola foreros! Hace mucho tiempo que no visito este sitio. Necesito ayuda para traducir algunas palabras relacionadas con la guitarra. Como no toco la guitarra, es muy dificil para mi. Perdonen la falta de acentos. No tengo tiempo para descubrir otra vez como hacerlos aqui.

No tengo contexto porque solo escuche la conversacion con gestos y no recuerdo mas que estas palabras.

pisada --no idea!
    preparativas --maybe lead-in chords??
    circulos --maybe chord progressions???
    requintar --dictionary says "to tighten" but the gesture I saw was something like a tremolo.

Me ayuda alguien?
    MDFLO

2. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    Hm, this is very challenging! :D You are asking for help interpreting sign language into Spanish? Which sign language, standard American or some other?

3. AbbeySP Senior Member

Cuernavaca, Morelos (México)
    Español mexicano
    Pisada (informal) = Acorde (formal): Chord
    Recién decidí aprender a tocar guitarra, y la pisada de Si bemolno puedo hacerla muy bien.

Círculo: Chord progression :)
    Si quieres tener práctica para hacer las pisadas (or acordes), deberías aprenderte el círculo de Sol.

A círculo is a chord progression made of several chords that always follow a specific way on playing. It is cyclical, as its name suggests, for example the círculo de Sol: G-Em-Am-D7 and it starts again.

Requintar or requinto: uhm... to tighten, riff, solo, tremolo...
    Requintar may be understood as any of the words above. But it is most commonly known as the gesture some bolero guitarists make in bridges or a "solo" through a song. When conjugating the verb requintar, some people say "requinteando" which is wrong as the correct verb is requintar not requintear.

Preparativas: ...¿? I'd never heard that word.

Sorry if my English is not perefect.

4. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    USA: English & Spanish
    There is a Mexican guitar method similar to the Circle of Fifths.
    When you are playing in the key of Do, for example, there are chords called la Segunda de Do, and la Tercera de Do.

When you change from one chord to another in the same key, there are also chords for la Preparación de la Segunda and la Preparación de la Tercera.

I don't remember the actual chords involved, but I think that's what constitutes the "preparativas."

Saludos.

5. MDFLO Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA, English
    Thank you all very much for your help. No, I didn't mean sign language. I meant Spanish words accompanied by gestures. He was trying to help me understand by playing an "air guitar," but I don't know much about guitar playing, so it didn't help much.

So pisada is an informal word for chord, circulos are chord progressions, and maybe preparativas would be lead-in chords. I seems requintar has several meanings. Now I'd like to understand better the Segunda de do, etc. If it has to do with the circle of fifths, then would it mean G? And the Tercera de do would be D?
    Thanks again for your help!
    MDFLO

6. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    USA: English & Spanish
    No, after loking it up, la Tercera de DO es FA.

I have two very old sources.

1. A book called "Método Completo de Guitarra Moderna" by Roberto Ramirez Ayala, published in Mexico, circa 1960.
    This book refers to "tonos" for DO,RE,MI,FA,SOL,LA,SI and their Segundas, Terceras, with their respective Preparaciones. He calls this subject "Relación de los Tonos y sus Círculos Armónicos. This is an excelent 150 page book which lots of explanations and examples, but it lacks a table showing all the relationships of the tonos (keys).

2. A cardboard circular guide called "Modern Accompaniment Guide for Spanish Guitar", by Nick Manoloff, published in Chicago, circa 1935. With this guide, you dial in a key (C,D,E,F,G,A,B), and in the little corresponding windows appear the Dominant (Segunda), Sub Dominant (Tercera), and other related chords.

If I had the inclination and time, I would create an Excel table of all these relationships.

You might consider going to a music store to see if they still have these books or guides.

Saludos.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  7. MDFLO Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA, English
    OK, so segunda means dominant and tercera sub-dominant, or 5th and 4th degree of the scale, respectively! I will look for the book you cited.
    Thanks, Zumac!