Pishing [phishing]

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Majecy, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Majecy Member

Argentin- Spanish
    Please I want to know what does pishing mean? I read it in a newspaper which talk about (estafas cibernéticas o nuevas modas delicitivas)
    Thank a lot
  2. hairlover45

hairlover45 Senior Member

Odessa Texas USA
    English - American
    Is the word "phishing"? The "ph" is sounded as an "f', so the word is pronounced "fishing." Phishing is a new term ("neologism"), so you may not find it in a printed dictionary.

It refers to attempts by criminals who use deceptive tactics to obtain ("phish for") computer, financial and other information for nefarious purposes.

You may click on a link in an email that appears to come from your credit card institution, which will take you to a site that appears the same as the genuine site. You will be told that that you need to sign in to correct an urgent problem. You enter your username and password; now the criminal has your confidential information, and can charge to your account. I received one of these phishing emails a few months ago; I reported it to the bank's fraud division.

For this reason, I never click on a link in any email. If I need to go to a credit card website, I use a browser bookmark, not a link.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  3. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
  4. Majecy Member

Argentin- Spanish
    Thank a lot for your kindly answer.