Piss off ou peace off

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by figooo, Mar 3, 2008.

1. figooo New Member

French (France)

En voyant la traduction des belles paroles de notre président (pour mémoire, "casse-toi, pauvre con, va !"), je me suis demandé quelle était la différence entre "piss off" (pas dans le sens "he pisses me off" mais dans le sens "go away") et "peace off".

Si quelqu'un peut m'éclairer là-dessus...

Thank you in advance

Hi all,
    In a few words, I just want to know if "piss off!" and "peace off" are any different and if yes what is the difference. (referring to the French President's famous sentence: "piss off, you bloody idiot").

Merci d'avance

2. sam's mum

sam's mum Senior Member

England English
    Piss off is a rude way of telling someone to go away. Peace off could be just a mistake, or a jokey play on words. (Like Life's a beach/bitch)
  3. figooo New Member

French (France)
    Thanks, you mean a mix between "piss off" and "peace out"?
  4. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    "Piss off" is a phrasal verb; "peace off" is not. The first is not pronounced the same as the second. I have never heard the expression "peace off" before.
  5. alisonp Senior Member

English - UK
    I would assume it was possibly an attempt to mimic French pronunciation.
  6. sam's mum

sam's mum Senior Member

England English
    Possibly also suggesting the 'peace sign' which when reversed is the rude V sign - or am I just reading too much into this?
  7. tygwyn Member

UK English (native)
    My immediate assumption would be that "peace off" is a French person's mis-hearing of "piss off". As a current expression, "peace off" does not exist.

It's quite common for French people to hear an "ee" sound where a native English speaker pronounces an "ih" sound, and for the French speaker to pronounce these sounds identically themselves. Eg my French partner, who is completely bilingual and doesn't have a very strong accent, pronounces "I was bitten" and "I was beaten" in such a similar way that I cannot distinguish them, with amusing consequences!

By the way, I would suggest that "casse-toi" would be better rendered as "get lost" rather than "piss off". To me, "piss off" is really extremely rude (I would class it as swearing) but "get lost" is definitely not swearing, just not a nice thing to say and very dismissive.

Hope my tuppence-worth on this topic is useful !
  8. daedalus101 Member

Toronto, Ontario
    Canada, English
    Bonjour figooo,

J'ai lu une traduction de "fous le camp" en anglais qui le rendre "piss-off". Peut-être, comme tygwyn a dit, la meilleure traduction de "caisse-toi" est quelque chose moins impolie comme "get lost" ou "step off".
  9. alisonp Senior Member

English - UK
    "Step off" is a new one on me. Is it a Canadianism?
  10. pyan

pyan Senior Member

Vendée, France
    English, UK, London
    Moderator note:
    Reminder number 1. Casse-toi alors pauvre con! has been discussed to death, resurrected and discussed to death again.
    Reminder number 2. The subject of this thread is the difference between two terms. Anything that is not on this subject must be the subject of another thread.