1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

place de la femme dans la société

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by enoeno, Nov 6, 2013.

1. enoeno Senior Member

France
    french
    Hi,
    I am trying to get the correct translation for "la place de la femme". I don't know which one is better : woman's place or women's role.

context : I am doing a list of general theme varying from one country to another. It's just a short list without explanation, arguing or anything. Just dashes and the theme. The way I want to use "la place de la femme" is very wide : within the family as well as within the society. It as much about how men look at women, than what women are expected to be/do and how women consider themselves.

Thanks for your help.

2. Kwistax Senior Member

français - Belgique
    "position of woman" - "views on woman" - "about woman" ?

3. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    I'd say something like: women - their role and status. I think it has to be "women" (plural) for "la femme" here.

4. enoeno Senior Member

France
    french
    Thanks to both of you for your help !

5. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    The position of women in society might be another possibility. Place and position both emphasize status, I think; role emphasizes what they're expected to do.

6. enoeno Senior Member

France
    french
    That would be a good one too Kelly, but I want to keep it as wide as possible (without focusing on society ) so women - their role and status is my pick ! Thanks to all three of you !