Planear v. Planificar

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Luisa86, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Luisa86 Member

English - U.S.
    Hola! En este contexto, sugieren que utilice "planear" o "planificar"?

Census data helps to distribute over $400 billion in federal funding each year to states and local communities, determines political representation, and helps to plan and fund local programs that serve your community.

Yo diria: "los datos del censo ayudan a planear y financiar programas locales..."

2. turi Senior Member

En un lugar de Catalunya
    Catalán y castellano.
    Yo, en cambio, diría "planificar".

Saludos, t.
  3. mirx Banned

My take on it is that you plan something when you think about it, and you "planify" something when you systematically put together a strategy to achieve pre-defined objectives.

I would too use "plan"; regardless of what I just typed, I still have the impression that "planificar" is just a fancy word for "planning".
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  4. Manuel G. Rey

Manuel G. Rey Senior Member

Yo también.
    Planear lo veo más utilizado para el vuelo de las aves con las alas extendidas e inmóviles, o de los aviones sin motor (planeadores).
  5. speedier

speedier Senior Member

That seems reasonable to me, that is, to systematically put together a strategy to achieve pre-defined objectives = to plan (and fund local programs) = planificar, but that's just my take on it.
  6. mameytree Senior Member

U.S. English / español cubano
    It has always seemed to me that planear is for a much more general sense of planning, whereas planificar involves a greater sense of specifics. For example, "Tengo planeado hacer un viaje" - "I'm planning on going on a trip" vs "He planificado todos los detalles del viaje." - "I've planned all the details of the trip."

So, I agree with Turissa, planificar would be best in this context.
  7. mirx Banned

That's what I think too, the dictionary seems to agree with us.

8. Luisa86 Member

English - U.S.
    Thanks for all the feedback! This helps a lot