plans de principe ou schémas de principe

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Antonia Graza, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Antonia Graza

Antonia Graza Senior Member

Cairo, Egypt
    Arabic
    Hello,
    I need to translate this phrase from French to English
    "Presence de plans de principe ou schémas de principe au niveau des locaux techniques"
    The context is related to swimming pool plumbing.
    My suggested translation is: "Presence of principal plans or schematic diagrams at the level of technical rooms" so Is that right? or Is there a better and more professional translation?
    Thank you so much for your help in advance.

2. clairet

clairet Senior Member

London & Bordeaux
    England & English (UK version)
    "technical rooms" can't be right. It must be "at the level of local methods/technical skills" (depending on further context for choice between methods/technical skills). "Techniques" is a word which can vaguely cover both.

"Presence" seems odd in the original. We need more context to understand which of its various meanings is intended.

I think "principe" translates as "principle" not "principal".

So, my best guess at what is intended: "There are outline plans or schemas suitable for local techniques."

3. Antonia Graza

Cairo, Egypt
    Arabic
    Thank you Clairet for your reply and suggested translation. :)

4. coursic Senior Member

France
    France French
    The French sentence doesn't include any verb. This makes me think that the sentence could be in a list of facts to be checked, with may be a"tick" box to confirm it.
    I have seen "technical rooms" used many a time in factories (may be international English, not UK or US?)
    My suggestions :
    Are there principle drawings or schematic drawings in the local techniques?
    Existence of principle drawings or schematic drawings in the technical rooms.

5. coursic Senior Member

France
    France French
    Bonsoir Antonia!
    Definitly, it can't be "local techniques", which mean the "techniques used locally".
    I do prefer "technical rooms", compared to "machine room" on a ship.

6. Bordelais Senior Member

Bordeaux
    English - British
    Agree with coursic that this is probably in a check list.

My try:

Existence of functional drawings or schematic diagrams for the plant room.

Swimming pools have a plant room containing the pumps, filters, heaters, chlorination system.

7. Guynouche Senior Member

English
    "Presence de plans de principe ou schémas de principe au niveau des locaux techniques"
    This sounds like a fire safety document. Am I correct?
    "local technique" is the French term for "Plant Room"
    I would suggest the following translation
    " Layout plans and schematic plans should be present on the Plant Rooms Floor level. ( Niveau = Floor level)

8. Antonia Graza

Cairo, Egypt
    Arabic
    Bonjour Coursic,
    Thank you so much for your help, and Yes, you are right, it is some how from a check list.

9. Antonia Graza

Cairo, Egypt
    Arabic
    Many thanks to you Bordelais for your help.

10. Antonia Graza

Cairo, Egypt
    Arabic
    Thanks a lot to you Guynouche for your participation, and the ( Niveau = Floor level) is not about the floor per se, it was repeated many times in the document before names of machines, tools, objects...etc and all are located on the same floor or place.
    Example: présence de corrosion
    au niveau des conduites ... I translated it to: Presence of corrosion at the level of pipes. but it is a little bit confusing to me, since the intended meaning here is; there is corrosion in pipes ......... not on the floor/place that the pipes are located.

Is the use of (at the level) here is common in English, or I can simply say: Presence of corrosion
    in pipes.

Best regards

11. clairet

clairet Senior Member

London & Bordeaux
    England & English (UK version)
    I think you are right about "au niveau de". Its meaning will vary a bit according to which preposition is right for the context: so " ..corrosion in pipes" but "..plans (etc)..for plant rooms".

"at the level of" exists in English but except where it is a technical description e.g. "at the level of the adjoining wall" it is a rather clumsy and often pretentious way of speaking/writing.

12. Antonia Graza

Cairo, Egypt
    Arabic
    Thank you clairet for your reply.