plausibilidad

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by NZTone, May 15, 2010.

1. NZTone Junior Member

Valencia, Spain
    New Zealand, English
    Buenos días,

Estoy teniendo problemas con la siguiente frase. El contexto es una licitación de una empresa chilena:

"Las costas procesales y personales causadas en el juicio, serán, invariablemente, de cargo de la parte que resulte vencida, sin que deba atenderse a la plausibilidad de su defensa."

Mi intento:
    The proceeding and personal costs incurred as a result of the trial will invariably be met by the losing party, without the obligation of attending to the plausability of their defence.

Muchas gracias
    NZTone

2. piraña utria

piraña utria Senior Member

Cartagena de Indias.
    Spanish - Colombian with Caribbean nuanc
    Hi there,

You English native speakers have the last opinion, but, from my point of view, we tend to use our "plausabilidad" in such contexts as a synonym for "reasonability".

I hope it helps.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  3. Iuris Tantum

Iuris Tantum Senior Member

Juneau
    Mexican Spanish
    I think plausibility is "verosimiltud"

4. litiga8or

litiga8or Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA
    Better:
    ... without needing to defend them.
    ... without needing to support them.
    ... without being obligated to defend/support them.

5. piraña utria

piraña utria Senior Member

Cartagena de Indias.
    Spanish - Colombian with Caribbean nuanc
    Hi Liti (where have you been, by the way? :)),

In this case, the idea behind this Spanish text is probably more precise so to speak: it refers to a criterion about not taking into account in such a case the reasonability or not of those "grounds" exposed by the losing party in its claim or answer.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  6. litiga8or

litiga8or Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm a little uncomfortable with NZTone's English translation because of wording and sentence structure. It's not wrong--it's just not quite natural. Perhaps there is no way to improve it, if the original Spanish text refers to concepts which don't exist in English.

7. NZTone Junior Member

Valencia, Spain
    New Zealand, English
    Thank you all for your help. I wasn't comfortable with the sentence either Liti, but I was a bit pressed for time and had to get the translation in. I used "without being obligated to defend them" in the end. Thanks also to Iuris, I appreciate your help.
    Cheers