1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

play close to the vest

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by cyann, Feb 17, 2007.

1. cyann Junior Member

Hautes Pyrénées
    france french
    Bonjour, pouvez-vous m'aider à traduire cette phrase extraite d'un dialogue de film : "he plays things close to the vest, now".
    Merci d'avance !

2. timboleicester

timboleicester Senior Member

Paris
    English - UK

The expression that I have heard is "....close to his/her/the chest" From card games where you prevent other players seeing which cards you have by holding them ... close to you chest.

Don't know the French, sorry. "Il ne partage ces pensées avec les autres" maybe

3. carolineR

carolineR Senior Member

Indian Ocean
    France
    il joue serré
    il ne dit rien de ses intentions...
    tt dépend du contexte :)

4. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

Minneapolis
    USA English
    The meaning goes beyond playing cards close to the vest. Its broader meaning is "He is being consciously and obviously careful." Par exemple on pourrait dire << Il ne ferait pas un décision jusqu'a il connait toutes les factes. Il a peu de faire une erreur. >>

5. timboleicester

Paris
    English - UK
    I was referring to the origins of the expression... of course it goes further than a card game as my attempt at translation makes no mention of cards. Incidentally have others heard this expression with VEST and not CHEST?

6. carolineR

carolineR Senior Member

Indian Ocean
    France
    never, chest always... but vest sounds pretty good, too, and evokes gambling dens, sweat and poker :)
    the French equivalent is "il ne montre pas son jeu".

7. timboleicester

Paris
    English - UK
    I thought it maybe a BE/AE thing but I think the origianal poster must have heard vest and not chest.

I like your expression as retains the game playing allusion.

8. fleury Senior Member

St. Louis, MO, USA
    English (US)
    I believe the quotation was from Pirates of the Caribbean, a Disney film and therefore, I assume, using American idiom.

To my AE ears, the expression is always "close to the vest" -- as it was in this quotation -- never "chest". From the preceding posts, I think this must be a BE/AE thing.

9. archijacq Senior Member

Albi
    french France
    et aussi:
    couvrir son jeu
    (bien) cacher son jeu

10. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Belgium/French
    Maybe "cacher son jeu" is a bit different? I'd use it in a context where you mean to delude someone.

11. archijacq Senior Member

Albi
    french France
    play close to the vest (metaphorical use): you plot your course of action cautiously, carefully and with cunning, and you keep your intentions and information hidden (poker face !)

12. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Belgium/French
    Oh, OK :) But I guess it depends on the context, right?

13. archijacq Senior Member

Albi
    french France
    et c'est tellement subjectif. Au plaisir de vous retrouver.

14. cyann Junior Member

Hautes Pyrénées
    france french
    thanks a lot for your answers !
    Cette phrase est bien tirée du film "pirates des caraïbes". Vu le contexte, on peut comprendre d'après ce que vous dites : "il est très discret sur ça", "il n'en parle pas".

15. chazzabum Junior Member

Hull, UK
    English, England
    i think it may have actually been about playing close to the nest, which means that someone carries out their leisurely activities close to home.
    just a thought ! ;)
    x

16. frenchpastriestastegood New Member

English - American
    Je cherche pour un equivelant de la phrase "keeping close to the vest" dans la sentence "He wondered if he should start questioning her about the war or play it close to the vest and keep his mouth shut." Je n'ai jamais entendu cette phrase en anglais mais je crois qu'elle veut dire faire attention mais encore je ne suis pas sûr. S'il y a un expression parreil en français ça sera cool mais sinon je veux trouver quelque chose qui a presque la même sens merci bcp!

17. bh7 Senior Member

Limestone City
    Canada; English
    "close to the vest" => [North Am.] cautiously, guardedly; carefully
    Il me semble que dans ton contexte "carefully" conviendrait mieux.