Play me out

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Silvia63, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Silvia63 Junior Member

Buongiorno a tutti :)
    Sto traducendo un brano degli Interpol: "My Desire".
    Nel refrain dice:

"Play me out, play me out
    Look like your chance has come
    Play me out, play me out
    It's time we change the heart".

Non riesco a capire, immagino sia una frase idiomatica, il significato di PLAY ME OUT.
    Giocarmi un brutto tiro? Farmi esprimere? Portarmi a compimento??

Potreste darmi una mano?
  2. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Canada, English
    When you wait for something to play out you wait for it to unfold, you don't actively try to interfere. It's a poetic way to put it but to me basically I understand it as another way to say give me a chance, be patient with me and see what happens.
  3. Mary49

Mary49 Senior Member

Could it be this meaning? "Drain someone of strength or life"
    There is another one "to use up, until there is nothing left. When someone is taking advantage of another person ("using another person") they will play them out when they are going to see how much they can get from the person they are using. They are playing them out because the person will be out of what they want, or will no longer give.
    He played her out for what she is worth."
  4. london calling Senior Member

That's how I understand it too, in this context.:) Not that Mary's suggestion is incorrect: it just doesn't fit in here.:)
  5. johngiovanni

johngiovanni Senior Member

It could mean "give me a chance", etc. In fact, it could mean anything at all, given that the rest of the lyric is probably unintelligible except to the person who penned it (and I'm not sure about that). I note that in one line "play me out" is followed immediately by "lay me out". So I suppose he wants to be given a chance and get laid? Good luck to him! It may be that the object of his desire speaks the same language. (Though she might reach for the keyboard and play a few bars as he makes his exit).
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  6. london calling Senior Member

Which is what rrose suggested and with which I (and now you) agreed.:)
  7. johngiovanni

Quite. The only thing missing from "rap" is the letter "c".
  8. Tegs

Tegs Mód ar líne

English (Ireland), Welsh, Irish
    :D Same thing applies to a lot of pop music lyrics too.

So, I guess the Italian translation would be "dammi una opportunità"
  9. johngiovanni

Yes - I suppose he fancies his chances!:)
  10. Pietruzzo

Pietruzzo Senior Member

Am I supposed to understand what you're talking about?
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  11. johngiovanni

I don't know, Pietruzzo. I want to say, very politely, "Decidi tu". As I tell my great-grandson, I do not do rap or computer games. To me, a lot of modern "lyrics" are crap. "Play" and ""lay" rhyme, don't they? Well, let's go with that . Facile, lazy, in my view - let's pretend we have talent.
  12. Pietruzzo

Pietruzzo Senior Member

Thanks for explaining your pun, which I should have understood though. What I still don't understand is the reference to rap music, which has little to do with the pop band in matter, IMO.
  13. johngiovanni

You are right, Pietruzzo. Mea culpa. I was carried away. (I have a thing about rap). It's just that I think we can bend over backwards trying to interpret that which is fundamentally opaque/ crap/ rubbish. In a lyric, we "lay out the body" after death, we "lay out" and "play out", we mangle the grammar, and we interpret all those things like so many Rorschach blotches of projection material, and almost anything goes. Does the writer of the lyric care?