1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Playing Hookie

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by badgrammar, Sep 29, 2006.

1. How do you say "playing hookie" in your language? That means not going to school (also: "cutting classes").

In French it is "secher les cours", I believe.

2. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    In Portuguese (Brazil at least) enforcar/matar aula, slightly old-fashioned cabular aula and very old-fashioned gazetear.

3. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    In Finnish: kraapata or skraapata

4. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    In German, it's "schwänzen."

5. DrWatson

DrWatson Senior Member

Finland (North)
    Finnish
    Really? I've never heard that word before... It's probably Helsinki dialect, at least it sounds like it.

A more common word could be pinnata. And the word I use most often is lintsata. I don't think there are literal translations for these words.

6. Sorry, I should have asked in my first post, but can you give us a literal translation of the sayings as well?

In French "Secher les cours" is literally "to dry/cut classes", I guess "secher" here would be understood as "to cut" in this context.

In English "Playing hookie/hookey" would seem related to 19th century expressions like "By hook or by crook", so it is something crooked or underhanded...

7. robbie_SWE

robbie_SWE Senior Member

Sweden
    Swedish (have three "mother languages": SWE, ROM, ENG)
    In Swedish it's "att skolka".

:) robbie

8. spakh

spakh Senior Member

Istanbul
    Anatolian Turkish
    In Turkish
    okulu kırmak
    okulu asmak
    okuldan kaçmak
    What we always do.;)

9. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština

Enforcar aula - to hang (as a criminal)/to string up class
    Matar aula - to kill class
    Cabular/gazetear - to shrink from something

Funny that my dictionary doesn't have cabular as a transitive verb :confused: , only as intransitive, but I've never heard cabular intransitively in this sense.

10. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    Czech: Chodit za školu. = To go behind the school. :)
    Záškolák - behind-the-schooler. :D

Jana

11. Kraus Senior Member

Italian, Italy
    Italian: marinare la scuola o tagliare (but there's a different translation for every dialect: fare schisa in Piedmontese, fa' filone in Neapolitan and so on...)

12. MingRaymond Senior Member

HK Cantonese
    Mandarin: 翹課
    Cantonese: 走堂

13. linguist786 Senior Member

Blackburn, England
    English, Gujarati & Urdu
    We used to say "blaumachen" when we were at school. Was ist deiner Meinung darüber?

14. avalon2004 Senior Member

Merseyside, England
    UK- English/Spanish
    Firstly, here in the UK we always say either "skive (off)" or "bunk off". I had never heard of "playing hookie" before this thread! The formal terms used by teaching staff are "playing truant" and "absconding from school", which would both sound quite out of place in an informal situation!

The most standard translation in Spanish is "hacer novillos" but according to my dictionary of colloquialisms there are other ways of saying it such as:
    "irse de pinta" in Mexico
    "hacerse la rata/la rabona" in Argentina and Uruguay
    "hacerse la vaca" in Peru
    "hacer la cimarra" in Chile
    "capar clase" in Colombia

NB: I can only assume the regional varieties are correct, I've never heard them.

15. avalon2004 Senior Member

Merseyside, England
    UK- English/Spanish
    In Greek the set expression is κάνω κοπάνα [káno kopána] which literally means "to do truancy".

16. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Have you ever been in a German school (and did you need to blaumachen there)? :D

Well, yes, the word can be used in German, but it sounds quite old-fashioned. Its translation is "to make blue."

To describe the meaning of word "schwänzen" (which is much more common nowadays), a very thorough explanation is required. It is akin to "Schwanz" (tail), and was first actively used in Rotwelsch (schwentzen) in the 18th century as a word for "to loiter (crime not necessarily implied)/hang around," and Luther used it for "to strut." These days, it is used as an equivalent of "to play hookie."

17. Funny the difference in BE/AE here, I'd never heard of "skive/bunk off" for that, even "absconding from school" would be over the heads of many Americans :).

Out of curiosity, what do the Spanish version translate to literally

Whodunit, I was curious about the origin of scwänzen, but I was too shy to ask;)!

Thanks all for your answers so far!

18. avalon2004 Senior Member

Merseyside, England
    UK- English/Spanish
    Come to think of it, we also use the term "to skip school" in England.

Another term used in Chile is "hacer la chancha", which translates into English as "to do/make the (female) pig" strangely enough!!

The other phrases really do not translate literally at all:

Hacer novillos
    = "to do/make young bulls"
    Irse de pinta = there is just no way to translate this! "to go off on appearance"???
    Hacerse la rata/rabona/vaca = "to become the rat/camp-follower(??)/cow"
    Hacer la cimarra = there is literally no translation, "la cimarra" does not have any meaning on its own that I know of.
    Capar clase = "to castrate(!) class"

They sound ridiculous I know, but if anyone else feels they can be translated literally then please try!

19. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)
    Hi,

In Dutch:
    spijbelen (1762, origins unknown)
    brossen (marked in the dico as Belgian Dutch). Brossen comes from Wallonian 'brosser', 'to walk in the woods, but not on the paths'.

Groetjes,

Frank

20. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I wanted to start this thread, but I am late. What I miss here, are some explanations of words or phrases. If anyone feels like explaining the Turkish expression, the Finnish, etc., please do !

Now I thought I had not read about the English word playing truant/truancy here, but I did come across it later on; it refers to beggars, vagabonds, etymonline.org tells us,

The Dutch spijbelen is supposed to refer to a bum, but no further reference can be found. I have also heard of haagschool doen, lit. to play hedgeschool, which I'd associate with hiding - and the English absconding, maybe the 'skiving'/ 'bunking' off.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  21. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    1. okulu kırmak literally means "to break/shatter the school".
    2. okulu asmak also dersi asmak literally mean "to hang the school" or "to hang the class".

3. okuldan kaçmak is a bit different. It litterally means "to run away from the school", and it means, to attend the first two or three classes, and then leave the school in order to attend the classes at the private institutes (called: Dershane).

22. sakvaka

sakvaka Moderoitsija

The Finnish pinnata has been borrowed from Swedish. The modern meaning was born in soldier slang in the 1920s.

pinna - to pin up [on the wall], to tighten -> to [com]press, to steal, to cheat -> escaping duties

Source: Häkkinen, Kaisa: Nykysuomen etymologinen sanakirja (2004), p. 926

No explanations for lintsata. I also agree that the latter is by far the most common.

23. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Well, Finnish seems more peaceful than Turkish. ;-) Any idea why there is so much violence in those phrases, Rallino? (Thanks)

24. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    Absolutely no idea! ^^

25. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    magyar

the formal expression is: iskolát kerül [iskola school, iskolát accusative + kerül go round]
    the most common, slang: lóg [literally: to hang]

Slovene

špricati [form the German spritzen, i.e to spray]

Polish: chodzić na wagary, wagarować [form Latin vagor, vagus, i.e. to wander, to roam]

Russian: динамить [interesting etymology, < dynamo] [can you teach me how to mark the stress on the Cyrillic keyboard?]

26. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    This is really not the term: динамить is a sland for to lead on / to mislead

Top cut class is прогуливать [progulivat'] - lit. to stoll though / to have a good time through

27. mataripis Senior Member

This word is not known to many .It means "absent" and the Tagalog word is "Pagliban" or "Lumiban" but sometimes They said it is "Pagtakas".

28. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Previous generations would say «κάνω σκασιαρχείο» ['kano skasiar'çi.o] («σκασιαρχείο» [skasiar'çi.o] (neut. noun): v. «σκά(ζ)ω» ['ska(z)o] < Classical «σχάζω» 'sxắzō --> lit. to slit open, in MG, to burst, let go, flee + v. «ἄρχω» ắrxō --> to rule, be leader of), while in army slang it's «παίρνω άδεια απ'τη σημαία» ['perno 'aði.a apti si'me.a] --> to take leave from the flag (instead of following army regulations and procedures)

29. Johnny Milutinović

Johnny Milutinović New Member

Serbia
    Serbian
    Here is my contribution to this thread. :)
    In Serbia, we say
    бежати с часова (> бежати to run away from, flee; с часова from the classes)

30. itreius Senior Member

Assembly
    In Croatia it's markirati and markati.

31. puny_god Junior Member

English - US
    In Filipino, we'd often use "tumakas sa klase", literally to escape from class. :)
    The Japanese have saboru サボる but I don't know the origin of that or why the first 2 Kana are written in Katakana.

32. clansaorsa Junior Member

France
    English UK
    In Aberdeen (Scotland) we used the word 'plunk' for truant. It was said to have come, as many north-east Scots words do, from sea-trading with the Netherlands and was a corruption of their word 'plenken' meaning to play truant. Perhaps a Dutch speaker could help.