Please acknowledge receipt of this letter/email

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Li'l Bull, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Li'l Bull

Li'l Bull Senior Member

Spanish (Spain)
    Hi, native speakers of English!

When I reply to a letter or email saying "Please acknowledge receipt of this letter/email", what should I write in my reply?
    Something like "This is an acknowledgement of your letter/email of April 22, 2012", maybe???

Thanks in advance.
  2. boozer Senior Member

Your letter has been received.
    I hereby acknowledge receipt of your letter.

or, I have received very short acknowledgements:
    Received. :D
  3. Li'l Bull

Li'l Bull Senior Member

Spanish (Spain)
    Thanks a lot, boozer.

However, I don't understand "or, I have received very short acknowledgements: Received" (sorry I didn't get the joke).

I suppose your second suggestion is quite formal, isn't it?

What about your first suggestion: is it formal, or neutral?

Can I really use "Received."? (informally, maybe?) Is there a way of saying it which doesn't sound too formal?
  4. boozer Senior Member

Well, it was not so much a joke - rather, I find it a bit funny that people should be so extremely succinct as to write a one-word sentence, namely Received. :)

The first one is, I believe, the normal way of acknowledging - neither too formal nor too colloquial. And, yes, the second one is quite formal.

I'm sure others will give you more ideas, though. :)
  5. Neelanshu Sharma New Member

Hindi & English

I acknowledge that I have received appointment letter along with medical certificate (total 3 attachments).

Neelanshu Sharma
  6. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    You don't have to repeat the word "acknowledge".

I'd probably say: I'm confirming receipt of your letter of [date]. Or: Thanks for your e-mail giving me the details of [whatever].
    Or: Your letter arrived today. Or, informally to a friend: Received. (As Boozer said.) Or: Got it!
  7. QAPCBA New Member

Confirming receipt of your email and in regards to CAR 9113