please be informed, I hereby inform you, I'd like to inform

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Baltic Sea, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    Hello everybody!

I would like to ask you which of the three following forms can be used in business letters: please be informed, I hereby inform you, I'd like to inform?

For example: Please be informed, I hereby inform you, I'd like to inform you that the parcel in question has not arrived yet.

Thank you.

2. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    All three are usable as stilted, wordy and unnecessary introductions to the simple message that "the parcel in question has not arrived yet."

(which is the way I would say it)

3. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    As sdgraham posted, you don't need any of them.

If you really want to use one, "I'd like to inform you" is more like what a real person would say. The others read like phrases from a law school textbook, and not a very good one.

4. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    Since I brought up the subject of bisiness letters, I'd like to ask another question related to it.
    Further to your latest message (offer, tender), I would like to let you know ........
    Should I use the adjective "latest" or is "last" a better option?

Thank you.

5. Tamar

Tamar Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    I agree and disagree...

You don't need any of them - not for grammar or any other linguistic reason. Nor does it change the facts...

However, if you need it for work, I would use it.
    I use "pls be informed..." at work - it's very official, but sometimes you have to be official...

@Egmont: How would you phrase it correctly from a legal point of view?

@Baltic Sea:
    I'd say "latest".

6. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    In legal terms, I disapprove of the passive, 'please be informed', as there is an implication that the recipient need not accept your offer of information. It also gives him no idea who is the authority behind the subsequent information and thus with whom to take up any further argument.

'I hereby inform you' is clear - "You are informed and I did it - try and deny it, if you can!"

7. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    I'm sorry, but I'm not a lawyer. (If I were, answering this could be construed as giving legal advice, which I understand is against their rules.) All I can say is that, as regards language, it is unnecessary - as we agree. If there is some other reason to say something like this, so be it, but WR may not be the best forum to discuss that issue. It depends so much on company practice, the sender's relationship with the recipient, possible legal issues of proper notice and perhaps more. Any of those could make the ideal linguistic choice, the only thing that most of us are qualified to speak on, less than ideal overall.