Please could you give me a five-lira note in my change?

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by seitt, Jan 21, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

Sometimes when a shopkeeper is about to give me change, I wish to ask if he can please give me a five lira note in the change he gives me.

Please, how can I phrase this request in Turkish?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. DemirKSK New Member

Italy
    Turca, Turkish
    Hey Simon;
    I didn't get the point; but
    if you meant "5 lira change in banknote" -- > "Paraüstünü kâğıt 5'lik alabilir miyim? "

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks - the point is simply that I find it convenient to have a few 5 lira notes with me, so if I'm running out I ask for some in the change.

Ah, could perhaps the following be nearer to my meaning? "Paraüstünde bir iki kâğıt 5'lik alabilir miyim?" I say this because I don't want all my change in 5 lira notes, just some of it, perhaps a very small portion of it as one or two are enough.

4. SARI7

SARI7 Junior Member

GREAT BRITAIN
    Turkish
    It is sufficient and better to say what you said in your question, omitting the part "paraüstünde".
    So you can say " bir iki kağıt 5'lik alabilir miyim?"
    Then s/he will give your change, and 5-10 lira of it as 5 lira notes.

5. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, I'll say this.

Just in case I did want to include the word "paraüstü" in my sentence, what would be the most natural (or least unnatural) thing to say, please?

6. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    I would just say: Paraüstünde bir iki tane de 5'lik bulunsun zahmet olmazsa.

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks - is the function of the 'de' here to indicate that you are expecting there to be banknotes and coins other than five lira notes in the change too?

8. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    Precisely :)

9. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Much obliged and best wishes.

10. Reverence Senior Member

Turkish
    People usually tend to consider constructing simpler and shorter sentences until they feel confident enough in their command of a given language. Here are a couple alternatives:

- Üstünü beşlik verebilir misiniz?
    - Beşlik olursa, bir zahmet...

11. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks - excellent advice for beginners is there too.

Would that not mean that you want only a 5 lira note (or five lira notes) in your change?

12. SARI7

SARI7 Junior Member

GREAT BRITAIN
    Turkish
    Yes, it means you want all your change in 5s.

13. Reverence Senior Member

Turkish
    Indeed. Assuming you only need one 5-lira note and don't care how the rest is returned, we can change the examples as follows:

- Bir tane beşlik verebilir misiniz?
    - Bir tanesi beşlik olursa, bir zahmet...

If using the word "para üstü" is really necessary, a possible way to add that is:

- Para üstünün içinde bir tane beşlik olabilir mi?

It's indeed difficult to include "para üstü" and keep it short at the same time. It will only serve to lengthen the sentence without adding anything of substance.

14. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, excellent.