Please don't knock on the door or ring the doorbell

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by superbaker, Dec 23, 2004.

1. superbaker New Member

Central Florida
    United States of America/English
    I need to know how to say this, because I am having to make a poster to put up outside our apartment door. My husband is in maintenance and we live on the property, and people think--apparently--that our house is just an extension of the main office. We have had people knock on the door or ring the doorbell in the middle of the night and on a Sunday afternoon.:( So I have decided I will make a poster in both English and Spanish and put one at the front door and one at the back door. "Polite but firm" is my goal here.
    Regrettably, we are anticipating more doorknocking and hollering this weekend--Christmas, you know!--so I want to get these posters made and put up ASAP.
    Also, how would you say, "Even if it is an emergency, call the office emergency maintenance hotline--do NOT call or come here to our home, please! Thank you for your courtesy in this matter."

Thanks again for all o' y'all's help in advance.

sincerely,

Mrs. Superbaker

2. Flora New Member

Spanish
    Hi superbake. There goes my suggestion, I hope it will be useful for you:
    "CASA PARTICULAR, NO OFICINA, SE RUEGA NO LLAMAR AL TIMBRE NI A LA PUERTA. GRACIAS".

Flora

3. mjscott Senior Member

Favor de no llamar a la puerta ni tocar el timbre. Si hay una emergencia, favor de llamar el número de emergencia del mantenimiento de la oficina. Gracias por la cortesía y respeto a nuestro tiempo privado (don't know how to say "time off" or "free time" (without contextually making it sound like, 'I'm just messing around here doing nothing in particular while you have an emergency, and I don't care!') in Spanish, so said "private time") en nuestro propio hogar.

My Spanish is not good, but it will do in a pinch. Putting the posting back to the front of the list will surely snag a good forero to complete the translation perfectly. If not, I hope what I have written will suffice in giving you some privacy in your own home during the Christmas holidays and during your time off.

Good luck, and have a Merry Christmas!

PS: If you still get people with emergencies at your door, may your help be a blessing to them, and may the fact that you were a blessing to them bless you, also, during the upcoming holidays!

4. vic_us Banned

Argentina-Spanish

Aun en caso de una emergencia, por favor llame al teléfono de emergencias de mantenimiento. ¡Por favor NO llame o venga aquí a nuestra casa! ¡Muchas gracias por la atención y consideración que dará a este pedido!

5. calzetin

calzetin Senior Member

London
    Spain / Spanish
    Hola Superbaker,

Incluso en caso de emergencia, llamen a la linea de urgencias de mantenimiento. Por favor, NO llamen ni vengan aquí a nuestro hogar. Gracias por su gentileza.

Por favor no llamen a la puerta ni toquen el timbre.

To add "casa particular, no oficina" (private home, not an office) is a good idea.

GOOD LUCK! :) ;)
    Calzetín

6. vic_us Banned

Argentina-Spanish
    If they keep bothering you, put up this sign:

¡PELIGRO DE ELECTROCUCION!
    NO TOQUE EL TIMBRE O GOLPEE LA PUERTA HASTA QUE EL ELECTRICISTA SOLUCIONE EL PROBLEMA.
    DISCULPE LA MOLESTIA.

I

7. Leopold

Leopold Senior Member

Barcelona
    es-ES
    My tuppenceworth:

"Por favor, no llamen a la puerta ni al timbre. Esto no es una oficina, sino una casa particular. Si tienen una emergencia llamen al número de teléfono de mantenimiento. Muchas gracias por entenderlo"

I think saying "no vengan a nuestra casa" is a little tough.

L.

8. Maeron Senior Member

Mexico City
    Canada, English
    "Por favor, no insista" is a polite but firm touch to add to whatever you decide to put.

Hispanoparlantes, how about something along the lines of "Casa particular, no es oficina. Para cualquier contingencia, favor de llamar a la línea de atención, 555-5555." Following this I would put a sentence that says something like "Aquí no hay atención a residentes" but I'm sure that isn't the best way to say "no one here can help you with your problem"--- suggestions please. And to close it off, "Por favor, no insista".

9. superbaker New Member

Central Florida
    Wow! Um...thanks for all the responses. Flora, thank you for yours to begin with. I am sorry I did not see your first response before I responded to Belen and Leopold. I will not know which one to use, because I am not sure of what all the words mean...Hmmm...a rather sticky wicket! Lots of choices, though, which is good!

I should have said about the 'emergencies', that generally (99 and 44/100's of the time) when people come to our door, it is NOT an emergency. It is something they just want to have done "ASAP"--but which could wait until the next day, very easily and definitely, and they will admit that-- and since we live on the property, and since my husband is very polite and kind, he is being taken advantage of for his goodnaturedness. The manager of the property has told some people who complained that my husband was 'rude' to them at 2 a.m., ("rudeness" means he told them that they should call the office and not come here, especially not at 2 a.m., and that they frightened his wife as well--before he went off and saw to whatever they were wanting to have fixed!) that they are lucky he didn't have a gun and shoot them, because she probably would have! So, you see, it's not for real emergencies, it's only for these people's personal convenience.

Just wanted to clear that up. As to being blessings, we certainly try to do that in as many ways as we can, and I am sorry I have given the wrong impression, but you see I have been trying to figure out how to say these things for about three months now...and I've gotten pretty frustrated about it. It's only because I found this Word Reference Forum after looking on my homepage, that I even got here. :>) And believe you me, I am thankful for y'all being blessings to ME in this way!

superbaker

We were gone most of the day on Christmas so if anyone came, hey, they were disappointed. We did that on purpose!

10. superbaker New Member

Central Florida
    P.S. I am extremely curious: what does "no vengan a nuestro casa" mean, specifically?

Thank you. :>) I mean, REALLY thank you to all of y'all--I am going to make several posters (of the suggested sentences) and keep them for circulation purposes! That is, when one wears out, I'll put up another. I was beginning to think this was an impossible task, like that of Hercules. No, it was just that I didn't know where to go for expert help.

P.S. My husband sends his fervent thanks as well!

superbaker

11. belén

belén Ex-Moderator

Spain
    Spanish, Spain, Catalan, Mallorca
    Hi again:)
    No vengan a nuestra casa means "do not come to our home"
    :)Belén

12. TraciX New Member

English-United States
    My favorite "leave me alone" 'speech' is from "As Good As It Gets". Hopefully it will help, though it's a bit more honesty than most people can handle. I've paraphrased a little.

Never, never, knock on this door, okay? Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that is so foul that it can only be a rotting corpse and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to hurl. Even then, don't come knocking. Or, if it's election night, and you're excited and you wanna celebrate because someone you are banging has been elected the president of the United States and he or she is going to have you down to Camp David for the weekend, and you want someone to share the moment with. Even then, don't knock... not on this door... not for ANY reason. Do you get me, sweetheart?

13. Peripes Senior Member

Lima, Perú
    Español, Perú
    Hi!

Most of your responses have made me laugh, they're pretty funny. Here's my contribution:

"Esta residencia privada no forma parte de las oficinas anexas, así que se le ruega por favor no llamar a la puerta ni tocar el timbre. En caso de emergencia, llame a la línea de emergencias, número 987-654-321. No insistir, gracias."

I hope it helps :)