"Please kindly suggest me"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by fresh123, Jan 9, 2010.

1. fresh123 Member

Hi all,

"Please kindly suggest me"

Is it correct to use 'kindly" in this sentence?
    I heard that the words "Please" and "Kindly" have the same sense, so no use of using both at once here.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. ChowingtonPlush Member

You are giving someone an order, correct?
    If so, then this is how I would write it:
    Please suggest to me...
    (It's unfinished if you stop there)

Another polite way of saying it would be:
    Could you please reccomend...
  3. fresh123 Member

Thanks a lot.
    In e-mail, is it correct to write, "Please kindly find the attached file"?
  4. ChowingtonPlush Member

Are you making a statement or an order? If you say that, then you're telling them to 'find' the file, which sounds strange. You might mean something like: You can find ...(contents)... in the attached file.
    Or: In the attached file you can find....
  5. Cagey post mod

English - US
    You might use please and kindly together, as they don't mean exactly the same thing. However, in most cases that would be overly polite or exaggerated to use both. It wouldn't sound natural. In an email, in particular, you want to use only one. I would use please, but someone else may prefer kindly.

Please can be used to introduce polite instructions. We do sometimes say find for "notice that it's there". You could say "Please find the attached file." For some reason, "Please find the file attached" sounds better to me, but that may be just my personal opinion.

Is there something you want them to do with the file once they have it? Or something that you want to tell them about the file?
  6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    A great deal depends on the context.
    Is fresh123 writing to Indian, US or UK contacts - or somewhere else?
    From previous threads it is clear that normal business communication styles can vary considerably.
  7. fresh123 Member

Are any separate structures for separate contacts?

Kindly suggest.
  8. Cagey post mod

English - US
    Could you ask this question in different words? It is difficult for me to know what you mean.

Also, Panjandrum tells us that when we talk about what is polite and accepted in business emails, it is important to know what country you are writing to. People have different ways of being polite in different English speaking countries. Where will you send this email?
  9. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I haven't read "kindly" in a business communication for years.

It used to be normal to say "Please find enclosed ...." and therefore, "Please find attached ..." still appears in e-mails.

I routinely use either of two forms.
    "I have attached the latest version of the report ..."
    "In the latest version of the report (attached) I have included ..."
    Of course there are lots of variations on this.
  10. Ahmed HaMaDa Member

Egypt Cairo
    Arabic Egypt
    Can I say
    " Kindly inform you that the first session of the course will be tomorrow on the 25th of February, from 1 pm to 3 pm "
    Please correct for me, if there's anything wrong.
    What does kindly here mean?
    If there are any other suggestions recommended, I'll be thankful to tell me about them.