1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Pleins de bisous

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by TrishaB, Apr 2, 2006.

1. TrishaB New Member

Orlando
    English, United States
    Can anyone tell me what this means, please? I know that bisous means kiss or kisses right? Thanks

Moderator note: several threads on the same topic were merged.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. marget Senior Member

It probably means Love or luv 'ya!

3. CARNESECCHI Senior Member

Auvergne
    French / France
    Hello,
    It means "lot of pecks" - On the cheeks!
    Hope it helps!

4. TrishaB New Member

Orlando
    English, United States
    Is this romantic at all? I just started seeing someone who is French and he emails me with French sentences sometimes...so I am trying to figure out if he is keeping it friendly or maybe a little more :confused: ?! Thanks for your help.

5. paulvial

paulvial Senior Member

Collioure, France
    french/france
    at least very friendly if not romantic
    i send "plein de petits bisous" à mes petits neveux par exemple

6. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    By the way, what do you say in English when in French you say 'bisous' at the end of a phone call (sorry to post that here)?

7. paulvial

paulvial Senior Member

Collioure, France
    french/france
    if you mean what do you reply when someone says "bisous" to you ,
    then i guess
    oui à toi aussi
    ou alors
    muuuuah ( my poor attempt at mimicking the sound of a kiss !!! :)

8. marget Senior Member

Is this romantic at all? I just started seeing someone who is French and he emails me with French sentences sometimes...so I am trying to figure out if he is keeping it friendly or maybe a little more :confused: ?! Thanks for your help.

That's why I suggested Love, when signing off or luv 'ya very colloquially. I like CARNESECCHI's definition/description/literal translation. I just think my explanation may be closer to the context in which I assumed to the expression to be stated. Je ne sais pas! In English, we also put XXX OOO.

I hope it boosts your confidence in the budding relationship!

9. TrishaB New Member

Orlando
    English, United States
    You know...I don't know. Now that I think about it...I don't recall saying anything like that. Usually people say...love you...or I love you...nothing about Kiss or kisses. Which I like I kiss you or Kisses better. It seem like you mean it so much more that the standard I love you or love you.

10. marget Senior Member

muuuuah ( my poor attempt at mimicking the sound of a kiss !!)

Sounds good to me! I couldn't have said it better or as well in English. Some expressions transcend language (mere words), n'est-ce pas!!

11. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    I understand the XXX but what does OOO mean?

12. marget Senior Member

You know...I don't know. Now that I think about it...I don't recall saying anything like that. Usually people say...love you...or I love you...nothing about Kiss or kisses. Which I like I kiss you or Kisses better. It seem like you mean it so much more that the standard I love you or love you.

When one ends a letter with Love, it is often just an expression, not a declaration. That doesn't mean that it isn't sincere. (luv 'ya doesn't strike me as necessarily sincere ,on the other hand.) I suspect that plein de bisous could be casual or sincerely meant as well.

13. marget Senior Member

I understand the XXX but what does OOO mean?

XXX = Kisses. OOO = Hugs! I think we usually write just XX OO, but I'm not sure. I tend to write Love.

14. geve

geve Senior Member

France, Paris
    France, French
    Maybe it's supposed to illustrate the shape of the kissing lips ? :confused:

I concur. That's what I understood from the answers I got in that thread about how to conclude an informal letter/e-mail

15. marget Senior Member

By the way, what do you say in English when in French you say 'bisous' at the end of a phone call (sorry to post that here)?

Thanks to cell phones, all day, every day, I hear "love you" or "I love you". Lots of people can't end a phone call without it. The other person often says "love you too" or "me too".

16. Alistair! New Member

English
    Hi!
    Please could someone help me?
    I have recently met a young French lady and after our second meeting she sent me a SMS with the ending: je pense a toi aussi, plein de bisous.
    Is she just being friendly...my feeling from our meeting was that it was a little more...but then it may be wishful thinking on my part! ;-)

17. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

She's definitely encouraging more than a cordial friendship, in my opinion!

18. Alistair! New Member

English
    Thank you Wildan1

19. ChrisPa Senior Member

Bretagne
    Français - France
    euh.. she may but friends can send bisous too.. so be carefull :p

20. Alistair! New Member

English
    Thank you ChrisPa...I will!!:eek:

21. Kaioxygen

Kaioxygen Senior Member

England
    England, English
    Maybe they're french kisses Alistair :) If they are you're in!

22. Alistair! New Member

English
    :eek: Thank you Kaioxgen...what would a similar ending to an SMS be in English?

23. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

luv u

l&k (love and kisses)

24. Alistair! New Member

English
    Thank you everyone....I am a newbie to this site...all your help is appreciated!!!

25. LennyBoii Senior Member

Guadeloupe
    French
    " xoxo " That's what she meant , I guess !

26. trueleech Junior Member

France
    French - France
    But "xoxo" is definitely friendly.

27. LennyBoii Senior Member

Guadeloupe
    French
    Yeah , just like " plein de bisous " ! I mean , i have alot of friends ( girls ) that text me and end their texts by " gros bisous " ; " je t'aime " ; " je t'adore " ; " plein de bisous " and that doesn't mean that they're in love with me ! Otherwise , I'd be a PIMP ! LoOL !

28. Palin_drome

Palin_drome Senior Member

Brussels
    French
    Si je peux me permettre - "je pense à toi aussi - plein de bisous" means she is answering one of your SMS that said "je pense à toi", in which case you may still have some hope :)

29. Alistair! New Member

English
    Thank you Palin drome...she was answering an SMS from me, written in English, which said words to the effect that something had just reminded me of our meeting the night before...I WAS being slghtly flirtatious...but my French is terrible and she knows it and tells me so in no uncertain terms! ;-)))