1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

plot summary/theme/premise

Discussion in 'English Only' started by NickJunior, Apr 27, 2008.

1. NickJunior Senior Member

Amérique du Nord
    cambodgien
    Hi,
    I need a clarification on the following movie terms "plot summary, theme, and premise". Plot summary is telling what happens at the beginning, the middle, and the end, right? The movie theme is the subject of the movie, right? And the premise is the message that the audience understands after the movie ends, right? Thanks.

2. AntieAnnie Senior Member

USA
    English - USA
    I would say that you're essentially right on plot summary and theme.

The premise is something that is understood before someone goes to see the movie.

In the movie Indecent Proposal, for example, Robert Redford offered $1 Million to Woody Harrelson and Demi Moore (who were married) so that he could spend one night with Demi Moore.

The premise is that if people are so in need of money, this idea could become a real consideration for them even if it means breaking the vows and values of marriage.

Does that make sense?

3. NickJunior Senior Member

Amérique du Nord
    cambodgien
    Thank you so much AntieAnnie for your explanation. I still have a question, though. So are you saying that before one goes see a movie, one should already understand what the message is about beforehand?

4. AntieAnnie Senior Member

USA
    English - USA
    In a word, yes. I'm basically saying that they should know the basic "premise" or the basic "idea" on what the movie is founded.