1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

plunging a determined spanner into these delicate works by apparently patching things up

Discussion in 'English Only' started by plusloinplushaut, May 28, 2007.

1. plusloinplushaut

plusloinplushaut Senior Member

Hanoi
    vietnam- vietnamese
    Hi, I really need your help.
    <<...>>

And thirdly, please check for me if my repharasing for the following is correct:
    "Iran is now plunging a determined spanner into these delicate works by apparently patching things up with the House of Saud, Washington's foremost Arab ally."
    --> Iran is now determined to hinder these sensible efforts by arranging things superficially with the royal family of Arab Saudi, US's closest ally.

Please spend some of your time helping me, your tomorrow will be great because you have helped a special person, me, who always brings people around good luck, lol

2. AWordLover

AWordLover Senior Member

Atlanta, Georgia USA
    USA English
    Hi,

It looks like you've correctly decided that the phrase with the spanner is a variation on the idiom "throw a spanner in the works", meaning to cause something not to work, similar to gum up the works.

Patch things up: Means to make up, or repair a relationship. The quarreling couple decided to patch things up. They decided to stop quarrelling and mend their relationship. Your translation of this part needs work.

Your translation lost the qualifier Arab. Do you believe that the US has no closer ally than the Saudis?

3. plusloinplushaut

Hanoi
    vietnam- vietnamese
    oh, sorry, I didn't pay enough attention for that missing of word, and I see my mistake with the second part now. Thank you very much for your help.
    Wish you all the best, AWordLover!

4. ireney

ireney Modistra

U.S.A.
    Greek Greece
    Just a note: I believe you meant "sensitive works" instead of "sensible"?

5. plusloinplushaut

Hanoi
    vietnam- vietnamese
    right, hehe, thank you, Ireney, I did feel something wrong there, yet I didn't see it. Thanks once again

6. Blumengarten Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    America / English
    Spanner is not a word that we would use in the United States, most Americans would not understand it. We would use the phrase, "throw a wrench in the works" or, as Word Lover, said, "gum up the works."

7. plusloinplushaut

Hanoi
    vietnam- vietnamese
    I haven't known about it before, thank you Blumengarten