Plural imperative forms

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by Arabus, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Arabus Senior Member

United States
    Arabic-Aleppo
    Merhaba,

-Yatağa çıkmayın!
    -Yatağa çıkmayınız!

Both these sentences can address a group of people or kids (I wonder if yatağa çıkma can also work?). Is there a difference in tone or emphasis between the two?

2. Gemmenita

Gemmenita Senior Member

Azari

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  3. Arabus Senior Member

United States
    Arabic-Aleppo
    Təşəkkür edirik.

So the summary is:

For the singular:

-yatağa çıkma (less polite)
    -yatağa çıkmayınız! (polite)

For the plural:

-yatağa çıkmayın! (less polite)
    -yatağa çıkmayınız! (polite)

What if I say yatağa çıkmayın to a single person? I know that this is possible (from the the grammer books) but I don't know how polite it is?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  4. spiraxo

spiraxo Senior Member

istanbul
    turkey, turkish
    It is polite and formal. It can be said to a (social) superior or someone you have just met or a client etc.

Arabus Bey, acele etmeyin, yetişiriz.

:)

5. Gemmenita

Gemmenita Senior Member

Azari

6. Arabus Senior Member

United States
    Arabic-Aleppo
    Thanks spiraxo. I am advancing in Turkish but unfortunately my Turkish is still not good enough to make me understand your last sentence. You told me to take my time, then you said yetişiriz, which I understand to mean "we will be fast enough to keep up with you." This seems to contradict the phrase acele etmeyin (if you are fast enough, then why did you tell me to slow down?)

In any case, I appreciate your help.Teşekkür ederim :)

7. Arabus Senior Member

United States
    Arabic-Aleppo
    Thank you Chaton.marchande.

From your explanation there does not seem to be a plural form that corresponds to yatağa çıkma (an order form). The basic plural form is yatağa çıkmayın, which is polite, so there is no order form for the plural.

8. spiraxo

spiraxo Senior Member

istanbul
    turkey, turkish
    Let's say that we are walking together to have a meeting with someone else in another office within 15-minute walk. However, you are walking too fast. Then I say: Mr. Arabus, do not rush, we will be there on time (or literally: we will catch the meeting).

yetişmek (-e) 1. Ulaşmak, ermek, varmak, vasıl olmak: “Gâvur Ali kahvedeki cemaate hiçbir şey söylemeden küçük çobanla uzaklaştı, bir nefeste ağıla yetişti.” -Ö. Seyfettin. 2. Vaktinde tamam olmak, bitmek, hazırlanmak, hazır olmak: Bu giysi yarına yetişmeli. 3. Vaktinde varmak, vaktinde bulunmak: “Öteki tünelle gelseler de vapura yetişeceklerini bilirlerdi.” -A. Ş. Hisar.

Since we both know that we are on the way to the meeting, I omitted toplantıya (or whatever the event is). :rolleyes:
    Arabus Bey, acele etmeyin, (toplantıya) yetişiriz.

:)

9. Arabus Senior Member

United States
    Arabic-Aleppo
    Thank you for the explanation spiraxo bey :)

10. Gemmenita

Gemmenita Senior Member

Azari

11. Arabus Senior Member

United States
    Arabic-Aleppo
    Teşekkür ederim :)