1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Plural of address

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Bristi, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Bristi Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spain, spanish
    Hi!

It's a simple question, but it's driving me crazy.

Does "address" have a plural form?

Addresses? Or it's also address?

Thanks a million!!
    Bristi

2. dn88 Senior Member

pl
    It's "addresses".

dn88

3. SpanishStudent_39 Senior Member

USA (English)
    Yep, it's addresses. You could have just looked up address in a dictionary, and it would have probably given the plural form. How dare you bother us with such a trivial matter! (Just kidding) ;)

4. Arrius

Arrius Senior Member

Spain
    English, UK
    You wouldn't have found the plural form in a dictionary because it's regular.
    I think that your confusion comes from the problem with the apostrophe S at the end of words ending in S. A problem for us native speakers as well. There are words in English which do not change in the plural such as sheep and (correctly) cannon, but there aren't many.

5. Bristi Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spain, spanish
    Thank you all! And yse, I checked the dictionary before, and the merriam webster, and dictionary. com and I found nothing... But of course, i wasn't clever enough to infer that it was son because it is regular =-P

6. SpanishStudent_39 Senior Member

USA (English)
    ¿Por qué está hablando en español, Arrius? You're a senior member for crying out load! :eek:

7. Arrius

Arrius Senior Member

Spain
    English, UK
    It is quite hot here on the Costa, I was fooled into explaining in Spanish because of the very basic nature of the question, and I had been skipping too fast from forum to forum. The matter is even worse: I first wrote the posting in English but suddenly and mistakenly thinking myself on a Spanish-English forum I translated it into Spanish.:confused::eek:
    All should now be in order,