Plural of CD

Discussion in 'English Only' started by alc112, Jul 16, 2005.

1. alc112

alc112 Senior Member

Concordia, Entre Ríos
    Argentina Spanish
    Hi!!
    i would like to know which is the plural of CD
    is Cds or Cd's?
    thank you very much

2. garryknight Senior Member

Kent, UK
    UK, English
    It's CDs, although CD's is common and usually acceptable.

3. la grive solitaire

la grive solitaire Senior Member

United States, English
    Hi alc,

It depends on which style manual you use. Here's what the Chicago Manual of Style has to say:

Q. When using the plural of “ad,” i.e, “ad’s,” is it incorrect to use the apostrophe? The three-letter string “ads” just looks so wrong when typesetting it. Would appreciate your guidance.

A. “Ad” is just a regular word, and the plural “ads” is also regular, so there’s no need to mess with it. Plurals almost never take an apostrophe. Chicago style uses an apostrophe for the plural of lowercase single letters (x’s and o’s), but for little else (for instance, we write “dos and don’ts”). Of course, if you come across a plural that would be misunderstood without an apostrophe, you should use one: for instance, in A’s and B’s, the first term would be mistaken for “As” without an apostrophe, and the second term uses the apostrophe because it would look inconsistent to style them in different ways. Please see CMS 7.16 and 7.63–65 for more examples and exceptions.http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/cmosfaq/cmosfaq.html

4. alc112

alc112 Senior Member

Concordia, Entre Ríos
    Argentina Spanish
    Thank you very much!!!
    thank you very much for that link LGS!!
    Regards

5. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    :mad: :mad: NEVER:mad: :mad:

Oops. Why, oh why would anyone put an apostrophe in there?
    I mean, we've got to take a stand somewhere. The grocers' apostrophe is to be resisted at all times.

...so I meekly suggest that really we should try to persuade people that CDs is the correct plural.
    If you happen to own an especially important and rare CD, you might choose to refer to that CD's importance and rarity.

6. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng
    Why! Well, I've been taught that you could write it both ways...with or without apostrophe...although nowadays the tendency is to write is without it.

7. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    Sorry - this is another of my pet hates:eek:
    To make a plural there should not be an apostrophe. Writing CD's instead of CDs is just as irritating (and wrong) as the familiar signs on the market stall advertising grape's tomato's potato's banana's and so on.

8. Eddie

Eddie Senior Member

Nassau County, NY
    USA - English
    Pan,

Where in the world did you see fruits and vegetables written with an apostrophe as an indication of pluraity? Is that an Irish thing?

In the US, one sees grapes, potatoes, tomatoes, etc. on outdoor stalls.

9. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    Eddie,
    Fortunately, for my state of health, it doesn't happen a lot this side of the Irish Sea. It is reputed to happen with distressing regularity over there on the other side (in England, that is). Our generally higher standard of education has, so far, kept it that way.

If you are not convinced, take a look at this website and click on the links for examples. Be strong, Eddie, this is not for the faint-hearted.

10. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

But... how do you say this >> "write the dots on your "i's" or "is"?

11. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Eddie-- maybe they're more literate in NYC (yeah, right!). I see apostrophized "plurals" in signing all over the place, especially on reader boards and handmade signs, including signs in supermarkets. If you venture far enough into the "flyover zone" you'll even see this misuse on movie marquees. (we don't have much live thee-ayter)

I'm with Panjandrum on this one, I hate it ferociously.

12. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    Ah well, of course you have found the inevitable exception:D
    As stated in the reference guide that lgs mentioned, the plural of individual letters has to have an apostrophe to avoid exactly the problem you have identified:)

13. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Hee...hee... :D why such a hatred towards the apostrophes??? You use them all the time!!!

14. Eddie

Eddie Senior Member

Nassau County, NY
    USA - English
    Thanks, Pan. The website you gave me was quite an eye-opener. While I would be the last to say the total population of NYC is beyond such lapses in education, I've generally only seen that type of abuse of the Queen's English in neighborhoods with large foreign populations. This is not in any way to hold those merchants up to ridicule. They have to make a living, and learning correct English spelling requires a great deal of time.

15. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    It's not that I hate the little darlings. I love them and cherish their appropriate role in life. What wind's me up i's their inappropriate use - either appearing when they should be sound asleep in their wee bed's, or not appearing when its clear to anyone whose brains functioning that they should be on duty.

Similar examples, and worse, perpetrated by such noble institutions as the Royal College of General Practitioners and the BBC, are pictured on the website of the Apostrophe Protection Society

16. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng
    Well, some of them are correct to me like "DVD's" (taken from my "Punctuation in English" book)... However, there are some "mutations" which seem taken from some Latinamerican country trying to sound "English"...I must confess...I hate them too!!! :mad:

17. garryknight Senior Member

Kent, UK
    UK, English
    Be fair; it's probably their signwriters. Although the BBC does seem to be getting worse and worse.

Anyway, whats the big deal about apostrophe's? ;)

18. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    Fair - Fair - Fair
    What's this "fair" notion got to do with it?:eek: :mad:
    :) :) Sorry, again, they are taking me away now.:) :)

19. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Good evening Sir Garry! :) I cannot understand your sentence >> It's probably their signwriters.... :confused:

20. mzsweeett

mzsweeett Senior Member

USA
    USA, American English
    Oh my :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I must say that sometimes I have to think about where and where not to use the lil buggers.... but that link was craaaaazy!! Even in my bland public school education I learned better than these morons!!
    But for my opinion.... I think that CDs is fine and DVDs is fine ...... I have always thought the the apostrophe meant possession of something..... and I think it still. I can deal with its misuse..... and just attribute it to a worse education than mine...:rolleyes: ;) :D

Sweet T.

21. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    It means that the ones making bad use of the apostrophes are the persons actually painting those signs, not the storeowners themselves.

As for the apostrophe, I agree with Panjandrum in that they should not be used here and there as if nothing, they have a very specific function, CDs, DVDs, TVs do not need an apostrophe.

Greetings

22. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng
    Yes ILT, they don't need it...but books say you can use them... :eek:
    Ah! Thank you for the explanation about "signwriters"... :thumbsup:

23. mplsray Senior Member

It should be pointed out that putting an apostrophe in CD's and DVD's is no more an example of the "greengrocer's apostrophe" than is the A's mentioned in the post citing the Chicago Manual of Style earlier, or the traditional Mind your p's and q's. Rather, it represents a traditional usage of the apostrophe--one which, in fact, once was mandatory (and within my lifetime, at that)--and is still considered a standard variant, whereas the greengrocer's apostrophe :)cross:apple's and :cross:orange's) has always been considered incorrect.

Correction:

It would appear that even what we now would recognize as the greengrocer's apostrophe was once acceptable usage. In its article "apostrophe2" The Century Dictionary, an American Dictionary of 1895, points out that the plurals of words such as church, fox, and Jones were once written with apostrophe-s, but that was no longer done at the time of the dictionary entry (and, of course, is not done now, either) but it says: "t is still used in some unusual or peculiar plurals, as many D.D.'s and LL.D.'s, a succession of a's, four 9's, etc."

As long as the usage of an apostrophe to pluralized initialisms, letters, and numbers is still considered a standard variant, however, it is, in my opinion, wrong to refer to this usage as being the greengrocer's apostrophe.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013