Plural of emphasis

Discussion in 'English Only' started by JediMaster, Nov 14, 2006.

1. JediMaster Senior Member

English, United States
    This seems like an incredibly stupid question because this is something I should know, but is the plural of "emphasis":

Thanks in advance!
  2. Robbo Senior Member

The plural of emphasis is emphases.
  3. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska

It's emphases.

4. JediMaster Senior Member

English, United States
    :eek: Thanks. I tried looking it up but I couldn't find it (or was obviously simply skipping over it.)
  5. maxiogee Banned

Does one often require the plural? Surely one emphasis at a time is enough for any sentence.
  6. Jogilius New Member

That's nonsense. Of course there are many situations where one could need the plural. "Different subjects have different emphases" for example. The reason I ended up on the forum was the fact that I wasn't sure what the plural is.
  7. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Welcome, Jogilius!

Glad you found the forum - and your answer:)

Yes: as was said earlier, the plural of emphasis is emphases.
  8. Jogilius New Member

Thanks. I probably won't be spending much time around here, but maybe I'll visit here if there's a problem with some language.

By the way, it's a little bit of a disappointment not to see Finnish in the Nordic languages section. I know our language is from a different language family, but we're still a nordic country after all. Oh well.
  9. Ynez Senior Member

Couldn't one say: "Different subjects have different emphasis"?
  10. gasman Senior Member

Canada, English
    You can't say "different books have different topic"; why should a similar construction be any different?
  11. Jogilius New Member

Would you say "Different people have different dog"?
  12. Ynez Senior Member

Would you say?:

Different things have different importances.

I thought "emphasis" could be considered an uncountable noun in a sentence like that, but I'll believe you if you say that's not normal.
  13. Asph New Member

You'd say, 'Different things have different levels of importance.'

You'd probably even say 'varying levels' to avoid the repetition. Just because a noun is uncountable doesn't mean you can never express some sort of plurality referring to it. What about 'two loaves of bread', 'three pints of milk', 'huge piles of money', etc?
  14. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Glad you came here, Jogilius. Which dictionaries did you consult? Many dictionaries these days would include information about irregular plurals. If you go to online dictionaries, like here, you'd see