1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Plurals of كثير and عديد

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by rzl62, Dec 6, 2012.

1. rzl62 Junior Member

English - American
    For 'many students', should I say طُلّابٌ كَثِيرُونَ or طُلّابٌ كِثارٌ? (Or have I got it backwards and the adjective should precede the modified noun?) What about with عَدِيدٌ? Is عَدِيدُونَ the only masculine plural for it? Is there a عدد form? Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. AndyRoo Senior Member

London
    English
    طلاب كثيرون is more common than طلاب كثار , but the latter is possible I think.
    طلاب عديدون is possible too, but quite rare.

It is also common to say الكثير من الطلاب , and العديد من الطلاب is possible.

3. rzl62 Junior Member

English - American
    What should I say instead of طلاب عديدون (with vowels, please)? And isn't العديد من الطلاب really saying 'many of the students'? And why is the adjective singular in that construction? Thanks.

4. AndyRoo Senior Member

London
    English
    I don't think there is a broken plural of عديد
    It's because it means "a large number" like in English we say "a large number of students". You could also say الكثيرون من or العديدون من

5. rzl62 Junior Member

English - American
    Ah, I see. That clears things up a lot. So are you saying that the adjective عديد is generally rare compared to كثير? Is there any difference in meaning between the two?

6. AndyRoo Senior Member

London
    English
    عديد is rarer than كثبر yes. But it is not uncommon.

The difference between the two is the same as the difference between the English "many" and "a large number of", e.g. you might say "a large number of students gathered outside the parliament building" or "many students don't like homework".

7. rzl62 Junior Member

English - American
    Excellent, that makes perfect sense. Thanks!