1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

PM : confirmed receipt ?

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by LV4-26, Nov 2, 2005.

1. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Hello there,

I seem to have a problem with private messaging. Or, at least, there's something I don't understand. Hence, I'm no longer sure whether my PMs are received or not (at least not before I receive an answer).

1. Before, when I sent a PM, I would always be asked whether I wanted the receipt to be confirmed at the moment I submitted it. Now I don't get that any more.

2. When I open the Private Messages window I access to a window called "folder controls". At the bottom, there's a line that says
    You have X confirmed and Y unconfirmed private message receipts.
    When I click on that line, I have access to 2 lists of sent messages. The PMs in the second list are marked as "unread".

3. Now when I look up the "sent items" box, I get all the messages I've sent so far. There's supposed to be a blue icon on the left for the "read" (;) blue/read...erm...never mind) messages and an orange one for the "unread" ones. So says the caption at the bottom.

How come a message that is supposed to be unread as per step 2 above has got a blue icon in the "sent items" box while it should have an orange one ?

I hope it doesn't sound too complicated

Thks
    Jean-Michel

2. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France
    France, French
    I can partly reply to this:

1. - There is no more pop up to ask you wether you want a receipt for your messages; you have, from now on, to choose to get one each time you write a message in "additional options" (at the bottom of the message writing page).

3. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

That's a good thing to know. Thanks, Agnès.

4. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Jean-Michel,

There is another thing to consider here. It is possible for a message to be
    -sent, with confirmation receipt requested
    -received
    -read
    and still you will not have a receipt...if the reader choses not to send one.

I don't know if that will display a blue or orange icon for you, but I'll be glad to test this with you if it's a concern.

regards,
    Cuchu

5. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Right, thanks
    I'll have to check a few things first.
    I'll send you 2 PMs successively (today or later). One will be entitled "PM #1". Please don't open that one.
    The other will be entitled "PM #2". Please open and answer that one. Then we'll see what happens. :)

Thks again
    J.-M.