pobre cito [pobrecito] = term of endearment

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Dayv, May 14, 2006.

1. Dayv New Member

Hi everyone!

I wonder if someone can help me? I've been getting to know a Cuban man. I think I'm developing feelings for him and have been searching for some sort of "term of endearment" to use for him. I used to have a teacher who was Cuban and she would often say (I think) "pobre cito" which I understood to mean "poor baby". So would it be appropriate to call a man you are dating (or want to be dating) "cito"? I can't find it in any dictionary except as a conjugation of "citar". Did I not hear correctly? Or maybe I'm spelling wrong (something spelled differently but sounds similar?).

I don't want to call him Papí, or Papíto... maybe someday, but something along the lines of "baby" other than bebe?

Any help is appreciated!
  2. Bienvenidos

Bienvenidos Senior Member

Pobrecito, although a compound word, does not include the word for "baby" in Spanish. You wouldn't go around calling someone you love a "bebé"; calling someone you love baby is very "English". You could say "querido".

3. Keikikoka Senior Member

North Carolina
    English, USA
    Cito isn't a name :) It's a diminutive suffix. (along with ito/ita/cita/and a bunch of other ones)

Pobre = poor person
    Pobrecito = poor lil' guy
  4. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    "Pobre" means "poor", and "pobrecito", with the diminutive ending, means "poor little thing."

You might go for generic terms of endearment, like "cariño" (dear), "querido" (dear, again), "chulo" (cutie) ... "amorcito" (little love) ...

There have been other queries of this type in this forum, so you might also check out what´s been said with the search function.
  5. Bienvenidos

Bienvenidos Senior Member

6. transparente Senior Member

at home
    Pobrecito, is used sometimes as a term of endearment. It is done with pobre plus the ending cito. Pobrecito: poor baby. It is not a word, but an ending in this context.
    In another context, cito, means "I quote". Infinitive: citar.
  7. Cracker Jack Senior Member

Cito is a suffix to denote an endearment. But this used to give it a personal touch. Usually, kids are the ones to which this is applied. If the person is a grown-up, you better use cariño. However, if it's just between the two of you, you can call each other whatever names would please you both.

After all, the rest would have nothing to do with your own terms of endearment.
  8. Dayv New Member

Thank you all very much for responding (and so quickly)! I'm very glad I asked before a misunderstanding from 15 years ago made me say something that would end up sounding stupid! :)

Thank you all again!