1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

pobreza alimentaria, de patrimonio, de capacidades

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Breadstick, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Breadstick

Breadstick Senior Member

Mexico City
    British English
    I need to translate the following three measurements of poverty in Mexico into (American) English, and I must admit I'm a bit stuck. I've seen some previous posts on this, but nothing conclusive. The three types of poverty and their definitions are:

• pobreza alimentaria ( [FONT=&quot]Incapacidad para la obtención de la canasta básica alimentaria).[/FONT]
    • pobreza de capacidades ( [FONT=&quot]Establece adicionalmente a la pobreza alimentaria, la insuficiencia para efectuar gastos necesarios en salud y educación[/FONT]).
    • pobreza de patrimonio ( [FONT=&quot]Establece adicionalmente a la pobreza de capacidades, la insuficiencia para efectuar los gastos necesarios en vestido, vivienda y transporte).[/FONT]
    "Food poverty" would seem fine for the first term, but the latter two are proving more difficult. Although the explanations are perfectly understandable, they are very specific to Mexico, so I haven't been able to find any equivalents in English, even in World Bank documents (or for example on the Wikipedia page). Anyone out there got any great ideas? :idea:

Cheers

Breadstick

2. isabel.eim

isabel.eim Senior Member

Caracas, Venezuela
    Spanish-Venezuela
  3. Breadstick

Breadstick Senior Member

Mexico City
    British English
    Many thanks isabel.eim. However, all three types of poverty I'm trying to translate are forms of economic poverty. Actually, I find that definition a little more linked with "personal" poverty, rather than "collective" poverty, which is the focus of what I'm translating. That being the case, I'm not entirely sure if mental and income poverty will fit. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to come up with anything better though... So I'm still more than open to suggestions!

Cheers

Colin