1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Sherlockat

Sherlockat Senior Member

Australia
    Castilian (Patagonian)
    Hi guys!

Poder fáctico es el que se ejerce al margen de los cauces formales (es decir, que no coincide necesariamente con el aparato del Estado) y se sirve de su autoridad informal o su capacidad de presión para influir políticamente. El poder fáctico ni está legitimado ni siempre busca la legitimación para ejercerse, pero ejerce de facto (de hecho) el poder aunque no lo haga de iure (legalmente) ya que su mera existencia le hace ser determinante.
    Source: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poder_fáctico

Now, I've checked previous WR-threads (not many) about this term, but I'm not sure which one is more appropriated to be used given the above Spanish definition.
    The net offers different English translations as follows:

- Factual powers.
    - De facto powers (maybe this one.)
    - Powers in the shadows (maybe it has a spiritual approach.)
    - Invisible powers.
    - the power behind the throne.
    - The powers that be (TPTB, see below.)
    - Secret Societies' powers (???)

TPTB: I've found this..maybe this is the correct one

(...) "The powers that be" is a phrase used to refer to those individuals or groups who collectively hold authority over a particular domain. It is a plurale tantum; the singular equivalent, "the power that is," is less commonly used. The Powers That Were (TPTW) is also another derivation that is used.
    However, (...) the phrase to refer to an ambiguous spiritual powers, not political powers.
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_powers_that_be_(phrase)

Thanks,

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    The only one that sounds natural to me is "de facto powers."

"The powers that be" is a common phrase, but I don't think it's what you're looking for.

3. Sherlockat

Sherlockat Senior Member

Australia
    Castilian (Patagonian)
  4. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    That definition sounds a little convoluted to me. "De facto" simply means "in fact" or "real," as opposed to "de jure," meaning "legal" or "official." The de facto power is the true power, whereas the de jure power may be a fiction (e.g., Putin and Medvedev).

5. Culturilla

Culturilla Senior Member

Castellano, España
    I'd stick with "de facto (whatever)": de facto leader, de facto powers... Let's see what other people say.

6. SafetyCar Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Hola soy nuevo por aquí pero quería intentar ayudar.

I was going to suggest "Lobby", but I don't know if it's exactly the same. Searching in google I've found this piece of text that seems to give various synonims for it:

Estos intereses particularistas reciben así el nombre de grupos de interés, poderes fácticos, grupos de presión, lobbies, etc., sufriendo en algunos casos, procesos de mutación.

WR won't let me post the link so if you are interested you should be able to find it on google just by copy-paste.

7. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng(Canada)
    Welcome safetycar.

What you're suggesting sounds like "special interest group", of which a lobby is an example. I think you're on the right track. I have my doubts about de facto, if for no other reason the word de facto is used in the explanation of the original post. If they wanted to say de facto power, wouldn't they simply say poder de facto. I think what they are referring to is the (unelected and unofficial) group that holds (at least some) de facto power,

A lobby does not necessarily have much power. TPTB does not sound quite right either. Something like shadow government maybe?

8. TheChabon Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish-Argentina
    En Google aparecen bastantes casos de formal & informal power, y a veces de formal y real power.