Poderosa

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by Baianissima, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Baianissima New Member

Italian
    Ola pessoal!

Um amigo acabou de comentar numa foto minha: "Tas poderosa na foto!"
    Imagino que seja um elogio mas percebi que não entendo o significado desse jargão direitinho.

Estou aguardando a sua ajuda!
    Muito obrigada :)

2. Thata New Member

Portuguese (Brazil)
    Significa que estás bonita, com uma imagem boa, confiante e cheia de atitude, é um elogio muito bom :)

3. Baianissima New Member

Italian
    Thata, muito obrigada por esclarecer as minhas duvidas!

Estava ate pensando que me chamou de 'gorda'...Insegurança feminina nao tem limite! :)

4. followthesun Senior Member

French (France)
    Hello,

Same question about "Poderosa". The context here is a teenage girl greeting her high school principal: "Pensou na minha proposta, Poderosa?"

I was thinking of something along the lines of "O Almighty One" since there's that capital "P" and the principal is in a position of authority; thinking it was a riff on "Deus Todo-Poderoso". Am I overthinking it?

5. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Senior Member

Santa Catarina
    Brazilian Portuguese
    I reckon you are. Is the context rather recent? If it is, maybe it's a subtle reference to the song Show das Poderosas, by Anitta. Thanks to that song this adjective has regained some popularity. But it means the same that Thata explained in #2.

6. mglenadel

mglenadel Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Brazilian Portuguese
    I'd go with "yes and no". The Poderosa may be a reference to the principal's power over the students, but used more in a tongue-in-cheek way. So yes, it can be a reference to Power, and no, it is not to be taken at face value.

7. followthesun Senior Member

French (France)
    Interesting! The context is recent indeed, but I just read the lyrics to that song and I think maybe it would be too familiar of the student to refer to her principal in that way? Or even in the way mentioned in Thata's post... I mean, the principal isn't the type to rebolar, at least in front of her students, and I can't quite think of the student complimenting her on her confidence or on the fact she is cheia de atitude! The principal is fairly stern...

Oh, yes, I definitely understood it in a tongue-in-cheek way too!

I'll try to think of a way to combine both meanings while keeping an appropriate distance between student and principal... But I'll probably go back to the cheeky "o almighty principal" idea if I can't find anything suitable.

Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

8. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Senior Member

Santa Catarina
    Brazilian Portuguese
    Yes, it would be too familiar. But, nowadays, considering how insolent is the attitude of many students towards teachers in Brazil (especially in public schools), I don't think it would be too far-fetched to imagine a student greeting a headmistress that way. "Poderosa", as I see it in such context, is simply veiled mockery. Or, as you put it, in a tongue-in-cheek way. ;)

9. followthesun Senior Member

French (France)
    True true! In the context, I think there is a bit of flattery going on as the student wants to get closer to the principal. (Why is it that I can only ever think of relevant bits of context after asking my questions... :rolleyes:) So a tongue-in-cheek comment to create some familiarity between the two, I think. :)

10. Guilherme236

Guilherme236 New Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Portuguese - Brazil
    Maybe the student feels some kind of intimacy with her principal. I would never call a teacher "poderosa". You can understand "Poderosa" as "gorgeous", "hottie", "sexy", "strong"... Madonna is someone I'd really call poderosa. For the records, it's not good for men. You can't say a man is "Poderoso". Not in that way. A "poderosa" woman can be both, litetrally powerfull or gorgeous (or both at the same way, like Madonna). But, a "poderoso" man is more likely to be a rich business man or a powerfull evil wizard like Lord Voldemort.

And, the suitable pronunciation is made by parts: Po-de-ro-sa! Like people do with "Fa-bu-lous!"

11. followthesun Senior Member

French (France)
    Thanks, Guilherme! I'm filing all this away! :)