1. Decker New Member

English; USA
    Que significa en ingles la palabra "podredumbre"?
  2. neotranslator Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish, Spain
    rottenness, corruption
  3. Juliomelecio

Juliomelecio Senior Member

Valencia, Ve
    Español Venezuela
    También pudredumbre.
  4. Soy Yo Senior Member

EEUU - inglés
    También tenemos (en inglés): putrefaction, putridity, putridness.
  5. fran kornbacher Senior Member

Bakersfield, California
    Podredumbre= (Med.) pus; rotten part, rot
    (Cualidad) rottenness, putrefaction (fig. Corruption)
    Rottenness, decay Corruption (vino)
    (Fig. Tristeza) secret sorrow, secret sadness.

take Care
  6. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Senior Member

Argentine Patagonia
    UK - English
    You're right to say "take care", fran! (although I realise it's meant as a signing-off greeting). I've just come across "las uvas poseen una podredumbre noble..." (talking of a "vino tardío" - c/f my post querying that in English), which is clearly using "podredumbre" in a positive sense that isn't adequately expressed by all the negative terms suggested so far in English as possible translations for "podredumbre". I'm not sure that "the grapes have a noble decay/rottenness/corruption" is acceptable in English, even allowing for the highly creative and esoteric phrases that wine-tasters come up with!

Can anyone help? (despite being a native Eng. speaker my mind's a blank!)
  7. sev75 Junior Member

German, Germany
    Just in case that someone is still looking for the translation of 'podredumbre' used in wine-terminology: the latin word is BOTRYTIS CINEREA, or 'noble rot' in English.

The 'Wine Doctor' (by Chris Kissack) says:
    Nothing is known of when the eternal romance between the grape and the fungal organism known as Botrytis cinerea began. I like to imagine that the wonderful wines which result from the interaction of the two have provided one or two winemakers with private, individual revelations over the centuries, although in reality I think this is unlikely to be true. (...)
    Today, (...) Botrytis, or Noble Rot, or Pourriture Noble in French, is of importance in many wine regions (...).

So... clearly not negative :D
  8. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Senior Member

Argentine Patagonia
    UK - English
    What a lovely insight, sev, thanks!

Yes, I'm a great fan of these wonders of nature, how "mould" and "decay" are in fact potential for what might almost be termed "alchemy", not only the "magic" of turning apparently rotten fruit into glorious wines and converting the otherwise fattening and tooth-decaying sugars into their heady alcoholic content, but the "miracle" of mouldy bread and cheese turning out to bear the early wonder-drug penicillin, etc.

Indeed, all very "noble"!
  9. gemmapujol77 New Member

Valladolid - Spain
    Spanish & Catalan
    Thank you Sev75. Your anwer helped me some years later.