1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

pohtineena

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil Senior Member

Pariisi
    kiina
    I was reading one of the "letters to the editor" in a newspaper, and the writer begins with this sentence:

"Minä moneen kertaan asioita pohtineena ja nyt ns. käännynnäisenä Sepon artikkelin jälkeen, haluan kiittää NN:n tavoin......."

I have no idea what pohtineena's "perusmuoto" are. Perhaps "pohtia"? What does it mean here?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  2. Grumpy Old Man Senior Member

This verb form isn't very common in informal spoken Finnish. Pohtineena comes from pohtia, to think, to ponder. The meaning is: After thinking things over many times I am now a kind of convert having read Seppo's article and I'd like to express my gratitude the way NN has done...

3. Extra Virgin Olive Oil Senior Member

Pariisi
    kiina
    I wonder how one might express the same thing in spoken English?

"Minä olen pohtinut asioita moneen kertaan, ja nyt olen tullut käännynnäiseksi Sepon artikkelin jälkeen. Siis haluan kiittää NN:n tavoin..." (?)

4. akana Senior Member

English - USA
    Your rendition is very good! Though I assume you mean in Finnish? :)

I think the na/nä ending in this sort of sentence means basically "as a..." or "as somebody who has..." so there is a subtle difference from the more straightforward "I have..."