pohtineena

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil Senior Member

Pariisi
    kiina
    I was reading one of the "letters to the editor" in a newspaper, and the writer begins with this sentence:

"Minä moneen kertaan asioita pohtineena ja nyt ns. käännynnäisenä Sepon artikkelin jälkeen, haluan kiittää NN:n tavoin......."

I have no idea what pohtineena's "perusmuoto" are. Perhaps "pohtia"? What does it mean here?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  2. Grumpy Old Man Senior Member

This verb form isn't very common in informal spoken Finnish. Pohtineena comes from pohtia, to think, to ponder. The meaning is: After thinking things over many times I am now a kind of convert having read Seppo's article and I'd like to express my gratitude the way NN has done...

3. Extra Virgin Olive Oil Senior Member

Pariisi
    kiina
    I wonder how one might express the same thing in spoken English?

"Minä olen pohtinut asioita moneen kertaan, ja nyt olen tullut käännynnäiseksi Sepon artikkelin jälkeen. Siis haluan kiittää NN:n tavoin..." (?)

4. akana Senior Member

English - USA
    Your rendition is very good! Though I assume you mean in Finnish? :)

I think the na/nä ending in this sort of sentence means basically "as a..." or "as somebody who has..." so there is a subtle difference from the more straightforward "I have..."