Point after Mr/ Mrs/ Miss/ Ms

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ANNAM985, Sep 6, 2011.

1. ANNAM985 New Member

Italiana
    Hello!
    I would like to know if I have to use the point after Mr/ Mrs/ Miss/ Ms.
    There is any rule?
    Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2011
  2. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    The full stop (BE) / period (AE) is used after Mr. Mrs. Dr. but not Miss; Ms, though never written out

I hope the Mods will forgive me, but the many lines of this quote lay out the perceived rules:
    But
    However, the British use seems to have fallen to the American use.

3. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I don't use full stops/periods with Mr, Mrs, Ms, Dr, etc. This is in line with 'lighter' punctuation style, so that I also see Prof and Capt without the stops.

We might also need to make a distinction between published material and unedited material. Older BrE users are likely to retain the full stops in Mr, Mrs, etc.

4. ANNAM985 New Member

Italiana
    Thank you very much.

5. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    As is not uncommon, the common modern American use is in fact the older British use. A modern Briton who abbreviates Mister as "Mr." with the punctuation mark is in fact following the universal practice of 18th C. and early 19th C. England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales.

6. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    There is no single rule in BE. For example, in Service and MOD Civil Service writing, the full stop is only used at the end of a sentence and never in abbreviations or truncations. Thus, all truncated military ranks are written, eg, Capt , Maj , Col - to avoid confusion I'll end the sentence here. (Not after Col :)) Note that eg is also not punctuated in this form of written English.

7. mplsray Senior Member

In American English, Mr., Mrs., and Ms. end with periods (full stops). Miss is historically a shortened form of mistress, but it is not considered an abbreviation, as that word is usually understood, and so is not followed by a period.