Polite

Discussion in 'English Only' started by mordapa, Dec 22, 2004.

1. mordapa New Member

Spain - Spanish
    Is is polite if I say: "You should be call for ensuring the participation of women"?Thank you.

2. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

I don't quite understand the meaning of the sentence, but I have a correction to do. It is a passive sentence so you must write "called for" instead of using the infinitive "call for". I'll check the rest and if I come across the meaning I'll post it here.
    Do you mean that someone should be summoned to ensure the participation of women???

Bye Art :) ;) :p

3. mono Junior Member

Portland, Oregon, USA
    United States / English
    I think I may understand, mordapa. If it seems what you attempt to say, try:
    "You should be called for ensuring the participation of women."

or

"You should be recognized for ensuring the participation of women"
    Good luck!

4. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English

I really can't understand what this sentence is saying at all. Normally, To call for is a passive construction, therefore, you wouldn't use the pronoun You.
    Something calls for ensuring the participation of women.

The brochure calls for ensuring the participation of women. The summit is calling for the participation of women.

I really don't like any of these sentences. They still don't make a lot of sense.
    The problem is using the term calls for. Maybe if you reworded the sentence??

5. DesertCat Senior Member

inglese | English
    How about, using encourage the participation of women.

6. Nick

Nick Senior Member

Western USA
    USA, English
    Maybe something like "You should be commended for encouraging women to participate"? Or is this not what the sentence should mean?

7. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Nick, look at this definition I've found in Cambridge dictionary.

Definition
    commend verb [T]
    to formally praise someone or something:
    The judge commended her for/on her bravery.
    For a low-budget film, it has much to commend it (= it deserves praise).
    It says on the back cover of the book 'highly commended'.

I don't think it has the same meaning as the original sentence. What do you think??

Art :) ;) :p

8. Nick

Nick Senior Member

Western USA
    USA, English
    That is the meaning I intended.

"prase for", just like "recognized for" (as above).

9. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

OK, Nick!! So the original sentence with "call for" means to praise sb ??
    I thought he wanted to say "to be called for", but really I didn't understand the original sentence!!!

Bye Art :thumbsup: :idea: :p

10. Nick

Nick Senior Member

Western USA
    USA, English
    I don't really understand the sentence either. A native English speaker wouldn't say it.

I've heard "be called for" be used to mean "be thanked for"/"be praised for", but then again it is usually either "be called upon to" (be the one in charge of getting something done; be forced to do something) or "be called out for" (be pointed out; be recognized; be praised; be scorned/humiliated).

I thought that the original poster meant "You should be called out for ensuring the participation of women". I'm sorry for any misunderstandings on my part. I guess we just need the original poster to try and reword the sentence. ;)

11. Richie Junior Member

South Carolina
    USA, English
    "You should be acknowledged for ensuring the participation of women."

"You should be recognized for ensuring the participation of women."

"commended" is good too.

hope I helped.

12. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Now, it makes sense!! So the original "call for" was wrong!! But... "call out" is to praise sb?? I've found another meaning...

Which is the phrase with "call" that means "praise"??

Thx people!!

Art :) ;) :p

13. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Hi Nick!!! Please could you explain "call for" and "call upon/out" ??? Where did you find those definitions?? I've looked them up and found something different from "to praise" or "to be recognized".
    Will you please help me?

Thx!!! Art :p :) ;)

14. Nick

Nick Senior Member

Western USA
    USA, English
    I guess you would call these idiomatic expressions. The definitions are coming from actual English usage in everyday life, not from the dictionary. Here's a quick rundown of some expressions involving "call".

"call for":
    • to request that something be brought to you -- The elegant woman called for a taxi to take her home.
    • to ask someone to come to you -- When he was sick, he called for his mother.
    • to request that something be done; to request that something happen -- The city council called for a vote.

"call on"/"call upon":
    • to choose -- The teacher called on the girl in the front of the classroom.
    • to ask someone to do something -- She called upon her father to fix the television. Usage note: When used with "be", it implies that the person was asked to do something and that he/she actually did it. Example: The priest called upon Sue to give the prayer. means that Sue was asked to pray and that she did pray.
    • to telephone someone -- I called on my friend but she was not at home.

"call out":
    • to yell -- "Wait," he called out to the taxi driver. Similar expressions: "cry out"
    • to speak aloud; to read aloud -- I called out the . Similar expressions: "read out", "list out"
    • to ask somebody to appear -- The magician called out her lovely assistant and the crowd continued to clap. Usage note: This implies that the person actually did appear (eg: they were asked to come on stage and they did). Similar expressions: "bring out"
    • to indicate -- She called out her children. Similar expressions: "point out"
    • to recognize; to praise -- The company would like to call out Blake Brown for his excellent research on the human heart.
    • (somwhat uncommon) to shame someone; to humiliate someone; to scorn someone; to make fun of someone -- The singer was called out for her rude remarks at the concert.

I hope this help. :)

15. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    I would say the most common use of calls for is in a recipe:

Yikes!! This recipe calls for 5 eggs and I only have one!

Another very common use:
    Wow!! You got straight As on your report card. This calls for a celebration!! Bring out the champagne.

The other use I can think of would be in a formal request of some type, such as:

His embezzling the city council funds called for an emergency election to replace him.

Called on:

We called on his talents to write up a review of the play.

He called on his old friend when he was in town.

In my opinion, call upon is formal and not used regularly.

Hope this helps.