1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Political Expediency ??

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ortak, Oct 6, 2009.

1. ortak

ortak Senior Member

Turkey
    Turkish
    How you can define Political Expediency especially in educational concept??

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Please provide context, such as a sample sentence, background, and your own thoughts on the subject, Ortak.

3. ortak

ortak Senior Member

Turkey
    Turkish
    Yet without such testing and evaluation, education policy will remain vague and approximate, based on folk wisdom and political expediency rather than evidence and facts..

From the same article here . On the second page , in the last paragraph..

4. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Something expedient is something that is suitable for achieving a goal or purpose, that is useful for a specific reason. "Political expedience" suggests that what the government will to or implement in this situation will be based on what is useful or convenient or productive politically rather than what will really improve education or the education system.

5. ortak

ortak Senior Member

Turkey
    Turkish
    Can you give a simple example to make me understand what is useful, convenient and productive politically?? Do they have ideological concept or not??

6. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    The officials will do what earns them votes or campaign contributions, not what is best for the education system.

7. ortak

ortak Senior Member

Turkey
    Turkish
    OK, I see ... Thanks :)

8. rase New Member

English
    could you explain to me in plain english what political expediency always takes precedence over the learner means please?