Poner a todo el mundo en el mismo saco

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by kuleshov, Jun 13, 2005.

1. kuleshov Senior Member

Spain Spanish
    Literally "To put everybody in the same sack". This is what you say when you criticize a group of people and you make no distinctions. Imagine you had a staff meeting at 8:00 am and only two staff arrived late at the meeting. You got really angry and criticised the entire staff. And obviously someone was bound to say: "No pongas a todo el mundo en el mismo saco."
    Another typical example is when people criticize civil sevants or plumbers.
    What about an English equivalent?

2. aprendista Senior Member

oakland, ca
    USA, ingles y español
    to paint with a broad brush.

3. Martona Senior Member

Spain - Spanish
    Hola:

Yo creo haber oido en alguna ocasión: pintar con la misma brocha. Sería un poquito más similar a la expresión en inglés;)

Martona

4. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    "broad brush" or "broad strokes"?

5. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    He tratado a pensar en algun modismo semejante.

He oído lo siguiente solamente:
    Don't punish the group for a member's mistake.

Trataré a pensar de más frases.

6. Chaucer Senior Member

US inglés/español

Tal vez para "poner a todo el mundo en el mismo saco" funcionen:

to lump [everyone] together

Don't lump everyone together.
    o
    to put in the same boat

Don't put everyone in the same boat.

7. Josette Senior Member

Great Britain, English
    Another alternative could be:

Don't tar everybody with the same brush.

Josette

8. cubaMania Senior Member

Me gusta el dicho que puso Josette Don't tar everybody with the same brush. Me parece tener el sentido exacto del original en español, y es de uso común.
    La sugerencia Don't put everyone in the same boat. creo que no tiene el mismo sentido.

9. Rebecca Hendry

Rebecca Hendry Senior Member

Scotland
    United Kingdom - English
    I would use:

Don't tar everyone with the same brush

It's a common phrase in English and, as cubamania says, it fits in very well with the original.

10. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    In the U.S., I would say that the most common of these ideas would be not to lump everyone together. "Tar" is something black, sticky and hot that you put on the roof or the road, and it wouldn't be understood here.

What does "tar" mean in England? How do you apply it with a brush? Why would you put it on a person? :rolleyes: (Yes, I'm being too literal, but the expression is so foreign to me that it lacks all context, so I got a little too silly. Sorry. :eek: The question's serious, though.) :)

I also think the "lumping together" fits in better with the original Spanish idiom about putting people in a sack.

11. Rebecca Hendry

Rebecca Hendry Senior Member

Scotland
    United Kingdom - English
    I think perhaps the phrase has its origins in the punishment of "tarring and feathering" - when a prisoner would be quite literally covered in tar and feathers.

It is certainly of common use in the UK.

12. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA
    USA / Native Language: English
    Here? Where is here? The US of A is a large country with lots of people. A fair number of which I would bet have heard "tar with the same brush''. I know I have.

How about ''lump together and tar with the same brush'' as found in this sentence:
    Have you heard of ''tar and feather and run out of town on a rail''? I agree that the expression ''tar with the same brush'' is probably related to that expression.

13. niña

niña Senior Member

At home
    Spain - Spanish
    Sólo me gustaría aclarar que yo nunca escuché lo de "poner" sino "meter (a todo el mundo) en el mismo saco"

Busqué en la RAE para cerciorarme y efectivamente esto fue lo único que encontré

meter en el mismo ~.
    1. fr. Dar el mismo tratamiento o consideración, sin atender a diferencias que pueden ser legítimas.

14. grubble

grubble Senior Member

South of England, UK
    British English
    Note that "tarred with the same brush" is always critical of the people who are being described.

"lumped together" is neutral.